Ellen Fryar | Best Collegiate Female Airleg Driller in Australia 2017

Congratulations to Ellen Fryar, who was named the best collegiate female Airleg driller in Australia for 2017, at the National Mining Games in Melbourne. Here’s what she had to say about her experience:

“Currently in the third year of my degree, I recently applied to attend the AusIMM new leader’s conference and National Mining Games in Melbourne. I wanted the opportunity to network with fellow engineering students around the country, improve myself as a potential leader, and to participate in the games which I saw as a great opportunity to have some mining fun.

The Games consisted of a single day filled with eight activities that each team competed in. The University of Adelaide registered three teams to compete in the games. The team I was assigned to was exclusively filled with people who had never attended the games before. Although we had never undertaken any of the activities, we still performed well in each of the events, doing well in the final rankings.

One of the activities was for three members of each team to use an Airleg Drill to drill two parallel holes into a block representing a rock face. The Airleg drill is a pneumatic drill, originally used to drill holes in the rock face of a mine. These days the traditional drill has been replaced with an alternative machine. Prior to the event we had to attend a safety brief on the drill, where we could perform one practice drill hole before the event. The team consisted of 1 female driller, 1 male driller and a safety advisor, with the goal of both the female and male driller to drill one hole each, in the least amount of time, at the same depth, and parallel to each other.

My partner Liam and I did well, but didn’t place as a team in the top three positions. I was, however, awarded the best collegiate female Airleg driller in Australia for 2017, for my speed and accuracy! The title surprised me as it was only my second time ever drilling a hole using the heavy, unwieldy machine. The games were a fantastic experience and a great week spent with new friends. The award was secondary to the achievements of the Adelaide teams who performed amazingly and brought home trophies.”

ellen fryar - drill1ellen fryar - awards night

This entry was posted in Competitions, Events and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.