The Centre for Global Food and Resources receives 2 of 12 Women’s Research Excellence Awards!

Last week, Dr. Lenka Malek and Dr. Ying Xu, Research Fellows at The Centre for Global Food and Resources, each won a 2017 Academic Women’s Research Excellence Award (WREA) valued at $5,000.

The WREA was established by The University of Adelaide Office of the Vice-Chancellor in partnership with the Gender, Equity and Diversity Committee and the Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor and Vice President (Research). The aim of the Award is to recognise and assist academic women’s research excellence at the University and each year up to 12 Awards are granted.

It is great news that our Centre has won two of the Awards this year!

SQ

Dr Lenka Malek, a dietitian turned consumer (food and nutrition) behaviour researcher, will use the funding to attend a week-long course on ‘Discrete Choice Analysis: Models, Estimation and Applications’ at the University of Sydney in July, 2017. This practical and theory based course, which will focus on the entire discrete choice experiment research process, will be presented by four of the world’s leading academics in the field of discrete choice analysis.

This will be a valuable opportunity for me to gain new knowledge and skills in experimental design, and to both learn about recent developments in choice modelling techniques and gain experience in using (and understanding when to use) these techniques. I look forward to increasing my research capabilities and, consequently, the scope of future research projects. Dr. Lenka Malek

ying

Dr Ying Xu, a natural resource economist by training, is also excited about this news:

I am really glad to receive the 2017 Women’s Research Excellence Award. I would like to express my thanks to the University for this opportunity to assist early-career researchers as this is especially important to us who often need some resources to cover a variety of research activities. With this Award, I will be able to finance myself in academic training, data purchase, and a few conference travels. I believe this Award will effectively help my research and contribute to the research outcomes of our Centre and the University.Dr. Ying Xu

This post was prepared by Dr. Ying Xu. 

This entry was posted in Awards, Staff news. Bookmark the permalink.