New Staff and Students joining GFAR

In July and August 2017, we will have five new additions to The Centre for Global Food and Resources (GFAR). This will be a mix of staff and students, who introduce themselves below.

Jack

My name is Jack Hetherington and I am coming to the Centre for Global Food and Resources after working at the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) for over two years. I grew up in Sydney but I have a passion for understanding how agriculture and food production can contribute to a healthy and sustainable planet. While at ACIAR, I supported Agribusiness research projects and helped coordinate the evaluation of mobile acquired data. I am also the Vice President for the network group called Researchers in Agriculture for International Development (RAID) – an active community of early to mid-career researchers interested in agriculture and international development. Prior to ACIAR, I graduated from the University of Sydney with a Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience and completed my honours looking at livestock ownership, consumption behaviour and child nutrition in sub-Saharan Africa.

I will be joining GFAR as a staff member in August and look forward to putting the knowledge and skills I have developed at ACIAR and during my undergraduate to good use while working in an inter-disciplinary research team looking at smallholder Indonesia dairy production.

livia_padilha

My name is Lívia Garcez de Oliveira Padilha, I am Brazilian and I live in a small city in the south of Brazil, called São Leopoldo. I graduated in International Business and I have a Master’s degree in Social Sciences. My research was focused on social networks, governance and sustainability. The Australian organic agricultural and environmental cultures are the main reasons that led me to want to study a PhD in Social Networks in Agriculture here, at the Centre for Global Food and Resources. I cannot see any other place as aligned with my passions and researching ambitions.

simon_1

My name is Simon de Bonviller and I am a visiting PhD student in economics from the National School for Water and Environmental Engineering (ENGEES) in Strasbourg, France. I will be working with Sarah Wheeler and Alec Zuo on a project related to insider trading on water markets. My PhD is dedicated to the economic impacts of water markets in a broad sense, including agricultural production as well as environmental issues. I’m a big fan of economics, soccer, and music. See you around!

larissa

My name is Larissa Gui Pagliuca and I am a new Adelaide resident coming from Brazil. I have a background in Agronomy and Masters in Applied Economics from the University of São Paulo. I have around ten years experience in agribusiness marketing analysis at the Centre of Advanced Studies on Applied Economics (CEPEA), in Piracicaba, Brazil. I participated in production costs studies, economic viability projects and market chain analysis of fruits and vegetables in the Brazilian market. I am joining GFAR as a casual staff member to work with Professor Wendy Umberger on a survey about behaviours and preferences of urban consumers in Southeast Asia. I look forward to contributing to this study and learning with my colleagues.

sacha

My name is Sacha Amaruzaman, I was trained as an urban and regional planner specialised in economics and community development.

Prior to come to Adelaide, I was working with the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Southeast Asia Regional Office in Bogor, Indonesia, as a project officer and researcher on the ecosystem services related projects. From 2014 to 2017, I co-managed the Climate-Smart, Tree-Based, Co-investment in Adaptation and Mitigation in Asia project (Smart Tree-Invest) that operates in Indonesia, Viet Nam and the Philippines, with funding from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). During that period, I also carried out research under the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry, focusing mainly on the research on socioeconomic and institutional aspects for developing rewards for ecosystem services schemes.

At GFAR, I plan to undertake my PhD research on how to promote a green economy from the agricultural sector in Indonesia, and how we can involve all actors, from the smallholders, government, and private sectors in that initiative. One part of my study will be on how the ecosystem services from the agricultural land can be more recognised and appreciated by the stakeholders, and how can we link the efforts towards a green economy to help improve smallholders’ resiliency to the climate and socio-eco-political changes that influence their livelihood.

This entry was posted in Staff news. Bookmark the permalink.