In December 2013 a review of the structure and operation of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences was undertaken by Emeritus Professor Peter Wolnizer and a Review Panel with members drawn from inside and outside the University.
Following this, the Faculty undertook a major organisational change process (with phase one completed in June 2014) and this resulted in a decision to rename the Faculty as Faculty of Arts, reduce the number of Schools from five to four and rename the Disciplines within Schools as Departments from 1 January 2015.
It was agreed that while the importance of the Faculty to the University and its communities is uniformly acknowledged, the reputation, attractiveness and competitiveness of ‘Arts at Adelaide’ must be enhanced. ‘Arts at Adelaide’ resonates with the historical and intellectual traditions of the Faculty and with the members of its community.
In addition to this Faculty Review, the School of Education had an external review in 2013. Based on these outcomes and discussions, it was decided to relocate the School from the Faculty of the Professions to the Faculty of Humanities of Social Sciences (Arts) from 1 January 2015.
As we prepare for these changes, please note the following:
- A revised Faculty of Arts website is due to go live by Friday 7 November 2014 to align with the enrolment cycle for new and continuing students. The URL for the new site will be www.arts.adelaide.edu.au. Some redirections will be in place from the previous URLs.
- Faculty Office email addresses have been updated as follows, and you can begin sending emails to these accounts immediately. Redirections are also in place from the previous addresses:
- From 1 January 2015, the Faculty of Arts will comprise four Schools: Education, Elder Conservatorium of Music, Humanities, and Social Sciences, and Disciplines will change to Departments (see attached).
- The Departments of History and Art History will transfer to the School of Humanities, and the Department of Politics and International Studies will transfer to the School of Social Sciences.
- From mid-November, the Student Advisor for the School of Education’s programs will transfer into the Faculty of Arts Office. Consequently all enquiries relating to the Bachelor of Teaching double degrees, Graduate Diploma in Education, PG coursework Education programs should be directed to the Faculty of Arts from that time.
If you have any questions, please contact the Faculty Office at firstname.lastname@example.org