The purpose of these awards is to encourage innovative thinking by industry personnel through undertaking a learning activity that has the potential to benefit the Australian sugarcane industry.
Applicants should consult the SRA Strategic Plan and focus on innovative projects that address at least one of the following eight Key Focus Areas of investment:
- Optimally-adapted varieties, plant breeding and release;
- Soil health and nutrient management;
- Pest, disease and weed management;
- Farming systems and production management;
- Milling efficiency and technology;
- Product diversification and value addition;
- Knowledge and technology transfer and adoption; and
- Capability development, attraction and retention.
Applicants should also be aware of the recently identified Impact Areas that have been identified as requiring urgent attention. These are:
- Solving Yellow Canopy Syndrome (YCS);
- Conventional and genetically modified (GM) plant breeding;
- Minimising harvest losses and value chain improvements; and
- Adoption of research.
Funding & Duration
The funding amounts available are:
- up to $5,000 for individual travel awards. Funds from SRA can be spent on travel to conferences, seminars, workshops, laboratories etc., including fares, accommodation and other living costs, and registration fees.
- up to $10,000 to cover costs involved in inviting experts with international and/or nationally recognised reputation to conduct an event such as a workshop and/or seminar, or to provide expertise needed for a particular project.
Funds cannot be spent on capital items, salaries for researchers or industry participants, or on organisational overheads.
.Anyone with a concept that aligns to the purpose of these awards may apply.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 24 August 2017
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying for this scheme.