Travel Story: Siew Leng Wong

Siew Leng Wong from the Robinson Research Institute’s Ovarian Cell Biology group attended the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Endocrine Society of Australia and the Society for Reproductive Biology 2014 in Melbourne.

Siew presented on her research Cholesterol in oocytes is required for embryogenesis and membrane functional domains in blastocysts.

This is what Siew had to say about her experience:

What was a highlight of the conference?
The Growing Healthy Embryos presentation on the first day of the conference – David Gardner discussed how the in-vitro embryo culture system changes over the years and I learnt a lot from his talk.

Did you meet any researchers or collaborators of significance? – Please provide details:
Yes, I met two of the Oozoa award finalists: Yat Yun and Sarah Dalati whom are both completing their PhD. Yun submitted his thesis and is now working at the University of Queensland, and Sarah is currently finishing her thesis. Both have generated significant results and great techniques, which I am quite interested in to apply on my own project.

How has the experience supported you and your research?
Some of the presentations were closely related to my area of focus (obesity and embryo development) and it provided a great opportunity to speak with some of the presenters, which will assist me when considering my future research direction.

What was the most exciting thing you learned/experienced at the Conference?

How to talk confidently in front of all the audiences. I always feel nervous/anxious when presenting on stage, but in this conference I received positive advice and feedback, which made me feel more comfortable and confident for future conferences.

What was the most interesting or unexpected moment of your travel?
The conference dinner was quite interesting. I was on a table with some ESA members and they shared their research in different fields.

What was the most uncomfortable or awkward moment of your travel?
The night before my presentation, I was worried about everything. The questions that people might ask, whether I would have a shaky voice while I was presenting, whether people would have trouble understanding my talk etc. But it turned out well.

Would you recommend this experience to your friends/colleagues and why?
Definitely, it provided a great opportunity to network with other researchers from various fields and to gain further knowledge on the new exciting findings that have occurred in the area of reproduction in recent years.

This entry was posted in Travel Story. Bookmark the permalink.