The current job market is competitive but don’t be disheartened, there is a great deal you can do to stand out from the crowd! Here are some of our tips for making this happen!
- Write a brilliant resume: The golden rule is to tailor your resume for each job you apply for. To set yourself apart from the other applicants you must articulate your experiences and their relevance to your future employer. Don’t make your employer work to understand why you are the right person for the job. Give it to them upfront. And don’t forget the basic resume principles. Your resume should be up to date, clearly articulate your skills and have perfect spelling and grammar!
- Turn on your personality and know your unique selling points: Be creative and proactive! Articulate what makes you different and highlight at least two of your unique selling points in your resume and in an interview.
- The interview- by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail! Knowledge is key in job interviews. Having a sound understanding of the employer and how the company operates will hold you in good stead by demonstrating your commitment to the role. This will also allow you to tailor your answers to specific areas of interest for the interviewer. Be prepared with at least 3 examples of past experiences that may be relevant to the role you are applying for.
- Make a good first impression at the interview: Never underestimate the importance of making a good first impression. Remember that the interview starts before many candidates realise! When you check in at reception, your demeanour with the person at the desk is often reported back to the interviewer. Be your best self as soon as you enter the building. Research has shown that many managers make a hiring decision within the first 90 seconds of meeting you!
- In 2017 it is very important to be socially savvy! According to recent studies, over 23% of Australian employers are using social media networks to screen job applicants and many businesses are turning to professional networks such as LinkedIn to seek potential candidates. Change your privacy settings and be sensible when posting content online. Being aware of your digital footprint is hugely important in today’s market.
To find out more and to view more career tips please visit adelaide.edu.au/student/careers/.
If you are a current student or 2016 graduate of the University of Adelaide, you are eligible to access assistance from the Careers Service. Check out careerhub.adelaide.edu.au for the latest jobs, resources, upcoming employer events and workshops.