Staff in the Department of English and Creative Writing have received a number of awards and prizes.
The Stephen Cole the Elder Prizes for Excellence in Teaching
Winners of The Stephen Cole the Elder Prizes for Excellence in Teaching have included:
- Associate Professor Tom Burton (1993)
- Dr Susan Hosking (1994)
- Dr Heather Kerr (1994)
- Dr Dianne Schwerdt (1998)
- Dr Joy McEntee (2001; awarded for excellence in teaching in the first five years of teaching)
- Dr Lucy Potter (2006)
Higher Degrees by Research (HDR)
2011: Dr Susan Hosking won the University’s Award for Excellence in Higher Degree Research Supervision
2009: Dr Heather Kerr won the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Higher Degree Research Supervision
Executive Dean’s Prizes and Vice-chancellor Awards
- Amanda Nettelbeck won the inaugural Executive Dean’s Teaching Award (2005)
- Rowena Harper won the Executive Dean’s Prize for Excellence in Teaching in the first 5 years (2006)
- Lucy Potter won the Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (2006)
- Ros Prosser received the Executive Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (2009)
Carrick and Australian Council of Learning and Teaching Awards
Professor Tom Burton was awarded a 2008 Australian Learning & Teaching Council Citation for an Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning “For successfully stimulating deep learning by bringing to the study of English both rigour and a boundless enthusiasm that challenge and inspire students to achieve”.
Dr Lucy Potter won a Carrick Citation for “outstanding contributions to student learning” in 2007; Lucy’s citation was specifically for “outstanding modelling of both effective, student-centred teaching and dynamic leadership” in the Department of English, including ESL.
Dr Joy McEntee received a Citation (2006) from the Carrick Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Educationfor modelling an “infectious enthusiasm” for learning and teaching as stimulating and emotionally rewarding experiences, inspiring both learners and teachers over a 10-year period.
Australia Award for University Teaching
Two of our staff members have been nominated for the Australian Award for University Teaching (Humanities):
- Susan Hosking (nominee 1996, finalist 1998)
- Joy McEntee (2004).
Departmental Learning and Teaching Award
The Department received the University’s Departmental Learning and Teaching Award in 1999.
English/Faculty Prizes for Students