The Joint Inspection Unit (JIU), the only independent external oversight body of the United Nations system mandated to conduct evaluations, inspections and investigations system-wide, is currently accepting applications for Research internships with the Unit from candidates who can intern for 4-6 months from mid-July or early August 2015 onwards. Candidates interested in starting an internship in mid-January / early February 2016 are also encouraged to apply as the JIU accepts applications on a year round rolling basis.
Final year undergraduate students, graduate students (Masters / Doctoral) and students who will be graduating in 2015 are eligible to apply. Knowledge of Languages is desirable.
For more information on the JIU, including access to all reports published by the Unit please visit www.unjiu.org
For more information on the JIU internship programme, please visit www.unjiu.org/en/get-involved/Pages/Internships.aspx
Description of general internship duties:
In view of his/her professional development, under the direct supervision of an Evaluation and Inspection Officer (EIO) and under the guidance of an Inspector, the intern will be assigned to support a review team. He/she will be tasked to undertake in-depth desk research, analysis and data collection, assist in the preparation of inception papers, questionnaires, interview guides and surveys, organize and analyze information received and prepare the relevant analytical outputs, participate in interviews and video-conferences as note-taker, provide logistical support in preparation for missions and interviews and assist in support tasks related to the preparation of the review findings.
Eligibility requirements + conditions of the JIU internship program:
– In line with the UN Administrative Instruction on internships (ST/AI/2014/1, 13 January 2014) candidates must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
– Advanced qualitative and quantitative desk (web-based) research skills, preferably at the graduate level;
– Fluency in oral and written English including experience in drafting research papers in English independently; knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) a plus;
– As per UN Secretariat policy, all internships are unpaid and no benefits are provided whatsoever;
– Availability to commit to a full-time internship (40 hours a week);
– All materials to which interns have access to during the course of their internship are treated as confidential and cannot be shared outside the JIU; subsequently, interns cannot base their thesis on topics that they had worked on as part of their JIU Internship; nor can they use information received for personal publications, blogs etc.
All incoming interns are issued with a Terms of Reference prior to the start of their internship that outlines their specific work responsibilities. Upon completion of the internship, interns receive an Attestation Letter outlining their outputs and an assessment of their performance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email the following documents to JIUInternships@unog.ch
1) A completed copy of the JIU internship application (attached) which can also be downloaded from the following weblink below. Please be sure to indicate the exact availability dates i.e start and end date as well as current contact information including telephone number and skype id name in case the candidate is shortlisted for an interview.
2) A sample research paper that best reflects your writing skills on any topic drafted in English as part of undergraduate or graduate coursework (not a collective group paper nor one edited by someone else).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.