Communicate with your tutors and lecturers. They want you to do well.

It may be hard for you to imagine, but your tutors and lecturers care a great deal about the courses they teach, and about how well you do in them.

They want nothing more than to see you do well. If something is going on with you—you are experiencing depression or anxiety, you are just not connecting with the material, you are questioning the career path this degree will lead to—your tutors and lecturers are important to talk to about any of these problems. Let them know how you are feeling, and ask a question, ask for help. Can I get an extension? What career paths are available in this field? How can I do better in this course? What made you love this subject when you were an undergraduate? Visit your tutors during their office hours and find out the answers to these questions.

When I was a tutor in Gender Studies, I sat in my designated spot during my office hour, all alone. I knew students were struggling, but I couldn’t make them come to see me. They had to make the tiny effort to come by and to tell me what was going on. I was happy to help, but I couldn’t know how until I learned more about what was bothering my students. In this case, you have to make the first step to connect with your tutor or lecturer. If you remember they want you to do well, it may not be so hard.

Study Skills Support is for undergraduate students studying in the Faculty of Arts.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.