If you’re considering an Adelaide MBA, or one of the many other postgraduate programs offered by the Adelaide Business School, and seeking support from your employer, take a look here for a few tips, suggestions and text that might be useful when developing your proposition.
What employer support might be available to you?
- Time off on full or part pay to attend lectures
- Flexible work hours to attend lectures
- Paid or unpaid study leave for assignments, study and examinations
- Full or part payment of course fees
- Reimbursement of fees on successful completion of course or program
- Reimbursement of fees from employer on the basis that you are bonded, that means you agree to stay with your employer for an agreed period of time. If you leave within the bonded period, you are obliged to reimburse your employer on a pro-rata basis.
- Reimbursement for the cost of text books
- Internal promotion or pay rise upon completion of award
When seeking support, focus on emphasising the benefits of the Adelaide MBA program not only to yourself, but also to your organisation. Workplace-based action-learning projects produce tangible results for your organisation by way of cost savings, improvements in productivity and increases in revenue.
- Become more skilled in reflective and critical thinking
- Develop improved problem solving, leadership and communication skills
- Improve your ‘big picture’ thinking and be able to take on more senior responsibilities
By supporting employees through study, your organisation will benefit in several ways:
- It will be easier for them to attract and retain high performers
- Supporting good people creates greater certainty in succession planning
- Developing a culture of learning, reward and recognition
- Moving toward employer of choice status
- How employer of choice assists with development & retention of human capital
- In an increasingly competitive labour market, investment in identified high-performers sends a strong signal to employees of their intended career path within the organisation
- Salary saving: cost of replacing staff using accepted industry rule is approximately three times annual salary package; not including impact or loss of clients resulting in shift
- Broadly speaking an investment of $30,000 in an MBA could result in a cost saving to the organisation of up to $300,000 based on a $100,000 annual package
Why the University of Adelaide offers Adelaide’s best postgraduate business experience:
- Adelaide is a member of the prestigious first tier or Group of Eight (Go8) Universities
- The Adelaide Business School attracts visiting professors from other national and international universities
- It has a five star rating for its MBA programs from the peak national body, the Graduate Management Association of Australia (GMAA), and from the Good Universities Guide in 2007
- It is currently seeking accreditation from the peak international body the Association of Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- It has on-site counselling and learning support available to maximise your MBA experience
- Programs are developed to maximise relevancy to industry eg. workplace based projects as assignments, also the business project course is a consultancy action learning process
- The School and University enjoy highly developed relationships with professional industry associations and business
If you are applying to your employer for support, you might construct a letter or email along the following lines.
I am keen to complete a <name of program> at the University of Adelaide.
There are potential benefits to the organisation, for example, many of the assignments will be workplace-based and I expect to develop skills and knowledge that will make me a more effective and productive employee. Moreover, the University’s research indicates that graduates report substantial improvements in their strategic, critical and reflective thinking; superior problem solving ability; leadership; teamwork and financial analyses.
The program is highly regarded and attracts senior people from a diverse range of organisations in South Australia and overseas including BHP Billiton, Qantas, Adelaide Bank and numerous Government agencies. Most students receive support from their employers.
Many companies take the view that supporting employees through postgraduate business study promotes “employer of choice” perceptions in the community which help in attracting and retaining good people.
I am seeking support for study by way of:
<choose from list on previous page>
The most common approach is to reimburse fees progressively on successful completion of each course. If you would like to know more about the curriculum, the University’s website sets out full details and also features a number of graduate testimonials.
A representative from the University would be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you might have. Let me know if you would like me to arrange this.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.