With the summer break just a few months away you might want to consider how you can make the most of this time to advance your career prospects and get yourself ready for graduation. It might not seem like a great way to spend your days when you could be at the beach or hanging out with friends (or playing video games), but your future self with thank you for taking the time to increase your employability.
Internships, work experience and placements are a great way to make the most of this time, and earn some cash while you’re at it. Unpaid opportunities are also available and you will need to decide what works best for you, review what’s available and decide what you want to take on.
Aside from earning some dollars, why else should you take on an internship?
- Gain insights into a business and company to understand operations and day-to-day work, as well as larger projects
- Meet professionals working in your chosen industry and build connections that may come in handy down the track
- Put your skills and learnings to use in a supported environment
- Discover the kind of work you enjoy doing, as well as what you don’t like doing (just as important!)
- Add to your CV/resume and have some examples to discuss with interviewers when it comes time to apply for graduate jobs
- Get you out of your comfort zone, try something new and prepare you for the workforce
Sound good? Check out CareerHub to see what is available and be mindful of application closing dates.
Please note that internships and opportunities are updated almost daily so it is worth checking back often to see what is new. You can adjust the search criteria as well to find the perfect opportunity.
Much like your assignments, it is always best to get applications completed early. If you need some help with putting together a CV/resume or cover letter you can attend a Resume Workshop or book in for an Application Express Check with the Career Services.
Search Paid Engineering Opportunities on CareerHub
Search Paid Mathematics Opportunities on CareerHub
Search Paid Science Opportunities on CareerHub
Search Paid Computer Science Opportunities on CareerHub