There was a distinct buzz in the air last Friday evening as award winners, family members and well-wishers gathered at the lobby of Nexus 10 Tower for the 2016 School of Education Mentor Teacher Awards ceremony.
The awards gave the School of Education and our students a chance to say a heartfelt thank you to the very many Mentor Teachers who had hosted our First, Third, Fourth Year and Graduate Diploma students in their classrooms and generously shared their knowledge.
In the lead-up to the awards, teaching students had the opportunity to nominate their Mentor Teacher for an award. The panel this year received a record 57 teacher nominations from across the government and non-government school sectors in the categories of “Knowledge”, “Support”, “Inspiration” and “Role Model”. From this number, the list was whittled down to 13 teachers who were honoured for their outstanding contributions towards mentoring our pre-service teachers. One school, Roxby Downs Area School, also won an award for Overall Outstanding Support.
Winners for each category are:
- Inspiration: the Mentor Teacher who fuelled the student teacher’s passion for the teaching profession;
Primary School: Jenne Illis-Kells, Kilkenny Primary School
Regional Secondary School: Allan Cadd, Port Broughton Area School
Secondary School: Emma Webner, Thebarton Senior College
- Knowledge: the Mentor Teacher who demonstrated a wealth of information on all aspects of teaching;
Primary School: Adrianna Gatt, Saint Michaels College
Regional Secondary School: Charlotte Franz, Port Augusta Secondary School
Secondary School: Bridget Roberts, the Heights School
- Support: the Mentor Teacher who showed support above and beyond what was expected of them;
Primary School: Valarie Post, Parkside Primary School
Regional Secondary School: Kirralee Baldock, Renmark High School
Secondary School: Kate Krieg, Pembroke School
- Role-model: the Mentor Teacher who modelled all the attributes, beliefs, and qualities desired in an education professional.
Primary School: Kylie Kelly, East Adelaide Primary School
Regional Secondary School: Luke Starczac, Murray Bridge High School
Secondary School: Jo Davidson, Yankalilla Area School
- Team Award: Marnie Tiggemann, Peter Waterman & Greg Osman, Rostrevor College
- Whole School Award: Roxby Downs Area School (Regional Secondary School)
The event also provided a valuable opportunity for the School to thank a number of other contributors including Coordinators, Principals, Supervisors and Teaching and School Staff for their ongoing support. The event also celebrated alumni connections; a number of our Mentor Teachers are alumni of the University of Adelaide, and genuinely glad to be able to contribute by passing on their knowledge of the classroom to our pre-service teachers.
Gallery of just some of award winners: