Media Release: Sea snake researcher among 2016 Fulbright scholars

jenna

A University of Adelaide PhD student exploring the sensory biology of sea snakes has been awarded a prestigious scholarship to continue her studies in the United States of America.

Jenna Crowe-Riddell is among just 30 to receive a 2016 Australian-American Fulbright Scholarship, and will be commencing at the University of Florida later this year to study alongside some of the world’s leading reptile experts.

Ms Crowe-Riddell says she hopes the scholarship will boost her experience in reptile physiology and evolution, and as a science communicator.

“This scholarship is an opportunity to create a vision for my career and who I want to be. Fulbright will not only allow me to carry out my PhD project, but it is also an opportunity to forge new research ties with the US and build my skills as a science communicator,” says Ms Crowe-Riddell.

“I’m looking forward to being in a new research environment in which I can learn from experts in my field. I’m also excited for the field trip opportunities because Florida has some really interesting animals and unique ecosystems.

“Being in the US will give me the opportunity to share my research with many people and institutions. I am hoping my collaboration with University of Florida will build an enduring research connection for my lab here at the University of Adelaide,” she says.

Two University of Adelaide graduates, Dr Laura Eadie and Dr Kathryn Gilbey, also received 2016 Fulbright scholarship.

Dr Eadie completed a Bachelor of Science, Honours and a PhD with the University of Adelaide, graduating in 2013. She now works in the Cancer Theme at the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute.

Dr Gilbey is a current University of Southern Queensland academic but spend some time in Adelaide, completing a Graduate Diploma in Education at the University of Adelaide in 1999. She received a Postdoctoral Fulbright Scholarship and will use the opportunity to study at the University of California.

Fulbright recipients receive support to travel to the USA in a postgraduate, postdoctoral, senior or professorial capacity. Scholars complete research across a range of fields, including science, technology, the arts, education and public policy.

The Fulbright Program in Australia is funded by the Australian and American governments and a generous group of sponsors.

Click here for more information about this year’s Australian Fulbrighters.

This entry was posted in Media Release, News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.