2017 Australian Climate and Water Summer Institute
We are inviting applications for a competitive fellowship to participate in this prestigious event. Organised by a consortium of government and research organisations, the Summer Institute offers around 15 of the most talented students and early career researchers a unique opportunity to work closely with peers and experts from academia and government agencies to undertake research to enhance climate and water information and its practical applications.
The fellowship covers your travel, accommodation and living expenses in Canberra. Successful applicants are based in Australia or New Zealand. You will have an affinity with climate and water but can be from a variety of relevant technical backgrounds such as
- Forecasts – using weather, climate and water forecasts to benefit economy, society or environment.
- Droughts – quantifying and predicting the economic and environmental impacts of drought.
- Floods – improving flood risk assessment and warning, increasing flood resilience, and supporting emergency response.
- Water Sharing – quantifying available water resources, increasing the benefits of water use for people and environment.
- Data integration – integrating observation networks, remote sensing, and modelling through data discovery, data fusion and assimilation.
The Summer Institute will be in Canberra between 11 December 2017 and 2 February 2018, with a break 23 December to 6 January.
During the first two weeks, fellows will obtain a deeper understanding of the role and workings of relevant organisations and receive intensive training and mentoring. During the following four-week project period, fellows will collaborate intensively to develop an application or improvement to data services and analysis tools.
The Summer Institute will focus on four broad themes; depending on project topic, fellows will be embedded with one of the partner organisations. Following the event, you will be assisted in developing a peer-reviewed publication.
Applications will be accepted from current and incoming graduate students (including Masters, Honours and PhD students) and post-doctoral researchers, research assistants or employees from a relevant organisation within three years of graduating with their PhD.
Applications close 27 August 2017
For more information or to apply, go to www.ozewex.org/2017-summer-institute/