As the end of 2021 approaches, University staff must be mindful of taking a reasonable and modest approach to end of year functions and social events.
University Executive have endorsed the following guidance:
- There can only be one University funded event per staff member e.g. Faculty / Division, or School / Branch / Institute
- The University contribution is capped at $75 per person including GST & FBT, noting the following;
- Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) does not apply for events held at the National Wine Centre (NWC); this also includes catering services provided by the NWC on University grounds
- Where events held at the NWC require services to be provided by an external supplier (e.g. Audio Visual equipment or decorations) this cost will be subject to FBT
- For all other venues/caterers where FBT applies, the maximum University contribution per staff member is $38 inc. GST (this becomes $75 once FBT is applied)
- FBT applies to all meal entertainment (sit down meals, alcohol or food and drink within a social context) funded by the University e.g. a self-catered BBQ on campus with alcohol
- Drinks including alcohol can be provided, with discretion, within the limits above
- Events at venues which charge a room hire fee should be avoided
- Local area / team functions are also permitted but these must be funded by social clubs and / or staff themselves.
Information can be found on the Catering, Events & Entertainment webpage.
If areas have further questions, they should contact Finance & Procurement Services or their Faculty Finance & Planning Manager / Manager, Division Finance.