Studying Abroad at the University of Sheffield. September 2013 to February 2014 – by Harry Jamieson

I was ambivalent about going on exchange because I didn’t know anyone going to Sheffield and it was a new city which I knew nothing about. My concerns were dispelled within the first week when I met other exchange students who were so easy-going, interesting and motivated to have a good time. I now have a few people who I’m fortunate enough to call lifelong friends: not to mention all the mates I have around the world, to the extent where my mate Matty from Canberra went to Europe in the middle of 2014 for six weeks and did not pay for accommodation once because he was staying with people he met in Sheffield.

All students on exchange are assigned to live at Lawrencefield which is a set of four storey apartment blocks with each person having a private room and en-suite. Then there is a shared kitchen and lounge area which is shared between 6 or 8 people. Approximately, 250 exchange students live there. Lawrencefield is within Endcliffe which is a village that houses about 3500 local and exchange students.

With so many cheap competing airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair, Europe is easily accessible on a budget with $AU100 return flights to Barcelona, Krakow, Munich etc. Even within the UK, it was so easy to get around. These two factors were reasons why I only spent three weekends in Sheffield as I hit up Oktoberfest, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Alpe d’Heuz, Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool during the semester.

If you are looking for a University with great facilities, quality education, sound accommodation, a centrally located European base to travel, plus well-good British culture and proper banter, look no further than the University of Sheffield. If you have any questions about doing exchange at the University of Sheffield, feel free to send me an email.

This entry was posted in Europe, Exchange, Faculty of Engineering, Computer & Mathematical Sciences, Student Blogs, United Kingdom and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.