Semester Exchange to the University of Glasgow – by Jedda Stocks-Ramsay

The end of your exchange experience is likely to go either one of two ways:

You may, having been a dutiful student all semester, cruise through your final assessments and exams, perhaps even having time for a weekend mini-break. Alternatively you may, like myself and I imagine most other exchange students who have done pretty much everything but study for the first two months of exchange, be shut in your room or fighting for a booth at your respective library trying to cram as much information into your brain as humanly possible. Although the latter seems relatively unappealing the incredible times that you will have had and the amazing people that you will have met whilst you should have been studying will make up for this short period of hell ten times over.

During my exam period I found myself thinking “you just have to get through the next few days and then it will all be over.” However, that thought was very quickly replaced by the thought that I really did not want it to all be over. I can, without a shadow of a doubt, say that my decision to study a semester abroad was the best decision I have ever made. If you have never lived out of home, it will teach you to appreciate your mother. If you aren’t the best at social situations, it will force you out of your comfort zone and make you develop the skills to build relationships with just about anyone. If you want to try new things, there is nowhere where you will have more opportunities on your doorstep. If you love to travel, it will open so many more opportunities to do so. If you just want to enjoy life, well, exchange is for you. At the end of the day, study abroad opens your mind and makes you grow up in the most exciting and life changing way possible.

I could not recommend enough that every university student participate in an exchange. I promise it will be the best decision you will ever make.

This entry was posted in Europe, Exchange, Faculty of Professions, Law, Student Blogs, United Kingdom and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.