5 things I brought back from Sweden – by Paige Le Cornu

I made the somewhat spontaneous decision to study abroad for a year in beautiful Gothenburg, Sweden. As you’ll hear from most people who have studied abroad, it was absolutely one of the best decisions I have ever made. I brought numerous things back with, more than just a dala horse, winter coats and a ghostly white skin tone, but learnings that i’ll keep forever.

New culture and experiences:

Exchange is a really unique way to learn about a new country by completing immersing yourself in it. My thoughts about Sweden before going were probably mainly; Abba, cold weather, social utopia and meatballs. While these all proved to be pretty valid, exchange gave me an opportunity to personally experience and gain an understanding of a new country through exposure to new language, environments and traditions. Going to Lapland in Northern Sweden for the first time and having my first experience of snow, a white christmas and seeing the northern lights is something I will never forget. I learnt about Swedish traditions including fika (a brilliant and popular Swedish concept of having coffee and something sweet), numerous national cake holidays (Kanelbullar/ cinnamon buns, semlor for ‘Fat Tuesday’, Waffle Day and Crayfish parties) and After Work (where you buy a beer on a friday afternoon and get free dinner). Obviously I’ve opted to bring a lot of these traditions back with me. Living with so many international students meant that I also got to learn a lot about their countries and cultures, and of course by being in Europe I was able to visit a lot of them while there.

Independence/ motivation:

‘Personal growth’ was probably one of the cheesey selling points from the university, but it’s totally true. I learnt a lot about myself, my limits, my motivations, how I deal with and adapt to new and different situations. I learnt new ways of problem solving and gained a lot more confidence with who I am. Exchange throws you in the deep end and forces you to make new friends, try new things, and build new support networks. I quickly realised that it was up to me to make the most of my time over there and because of that I found myself actively looking for new opportunities and things I usually wouldn’t do at home. I think I generally gained a more ‘go get em’’ attitude which I know I can adopt in Adelaide or wherever I live in the future.

A new lens:

Exchange gave me exposure to a new language, practices and perspectives. It gives you new world views and makes you question your own and the assumptions you may have. Living in a new country showed me new possibilities and ways of living. I not only learnt about Sweden but about Australia too. Whether it was my simple longing for vegemite or witnessing an election in a new country, I found myself comparing differences, from food, people and fashion, to gender politics, and welfare and education systems. I came to love so many of these things but I also gained a new appreciation for Australian culture and people. Generally, exchange gave me a more worldly perspective and helped me to understand my own values.

New friends:

I think I underestimated the friendships I would be able to make in such a short period of time.

When you go to a new place where you don’t know anyone you find that everyone in the same boat bands together. The students I met there were literally my family, my support networks, the people I laughed with, went to with problems and had new adventures with. I was also lucky enough to have a Swedish family I met with regularly to do different activities and help their daughters who were learning english, and if you get any such opportunity I would definitely recommend it! That family and the other students I met really defined my time abroad and made it the amazing experience it was. I now have really special friendships with people from all over the world which I know will genuinely last a lifetime.

Memories:

The memories I have from exchange are absolutely invaluable. I recall indoor snow fights, coming out of lessons excited about learning new things, a lot of fika, laughing and crying with new friends, walking around a new city and feeling completely at home, and travelling a new continent. I’ll treasure these and so many more, forever.

I would absolutely recommend studying abroad to anyone that gets the opportunity. Do it and experience it for yourself!

This entry was posted in Europe, Exchange, Faculty of Arts, Student Blogs, Sweden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.