GLObewriter Introduction: Lauren, University of Mannheim, Germany

lauren copland

“A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes

Freedom, responsibility, and the first few, somewhat, frightening steps towards adulthood have come 15000 kilometres from home. From negotiating language barriers, opening a German bank account, understanding the local customs, to renting my first apartment and living alone, these first few weeks have pushed me and pulled me but I have not broken. The more we are challenged in life the stronger we become. Only by losing ourselves in new experiences can we truly find ourselves. Ever since I was a little girl, I hoped, I wished, I dreamed, that one day I would live in another country. I held onto this dream throughout my youth and now into my early adulthood, no matter how improbable or impossible it seemed, it has come to fruition! It is a gentle reminder that anything in life is possible if only we believe and work hard to make it a reality.

It’s still hard to fathom that I am attending university in a palace and that I am walking the same corridors and sitting in the same rooms that royalty have previously. This whole experience so far has been a dream! To be surrounded by so much history and for there to be many tales waiting to be told, my pen is just itching for a workout. I wonder what else Germany has in store for me? Only time will tell!

This entry was posted in Europe, Exchange, Germany, GLObe Writers, Student Blogs and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.