Visit to Rothenburg – by Lauren Copland

copland

“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert

Flying for 19 hours and travelling 15,000km has brought me here, here to Germany, to Mannheim, and to the history that my heart so longed to see. It was emotional and exhausting but I would travel that far or further in a heartbeat. There is nothing quite like visiting a new place and encountering new people to elevate the soul and lift the mood ❤ We are blessed with such a short amount of time in this world that we need to make the most of it, we need to challenge ourselves, we need to travel to far away lands, we need to keep growing and learning, and we need to do what makes us happy as a life half-lived is no life at all.

Sometimes our lives and our problems can seem to encompass the entire world, as if it dissipates into everyone that we encounter and then into everyone that they encounter. In reality we are just one small cog in a machine forever turning and turning and continually fulfilling our part. Travelling reminds us of the power of living fully but it also reminds us of our connection to the world. Time may pass but the world keeps turning and life keeps moving on and on and on. There is no better reminder for this then the mediaeval town of Rothenburg. I visited a town, saw buildings, and walked the streets that countless people had before me 100, 200, 300, 400, 500+ years ago. It is so crazy to think that I was seeing what they saw and that there will be others in the future seeing what I saw too. Life is a marvelous, miraculous and very often a mysterious thing!

Lauren’s posts come from her wonderful Instagram mini-essays – check them out! @lozzacopland

This entry was posted in Exchange, Germany, Student Blogs and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.