There’s Something Special about Sheffield – by Jasmine Weisbrodt

It was apparent from the outset that I was easily going to fall for such a wonderful place. Now autumn is well and truly upon us, assessment time has kicked in and I’ve been in Sheffield for over just under 2 months – still loving the chaotic mesh of study, activities, sport and travel. England, South Yorkshire, Sheffield is a beautiful place to be, and to live.

Autumn in Weston Park, Sheffield

Autumn in Weston Park, Sheffield

The University of Sheffield (UoS) is constantly engaging and supremely encouraging. There is this very special relationship between the university and the people of Sheffield; it is one big community and both work hard to help each, raise opportunities and make Sheffield and the students the best they can be. As a UoS Study Abroad Scholarship recipient, I attended a ceremonial dinner in which the speeches outlined the depth of this commitment. Over 100 countries of nationality were represented in that single room, the #weareinternational really suits! I’m just feeling very lucky to be a part of this place, even if it is only briefly.
The university cherishes and fosters potential – it provides the building blocks, accompanied with ongoing support, for extensive self-choices and student individuality. It was highlighted in Pro-Vice-Chancellor Professor Morgan’s speech, in acknowledging the university’s aim to achieve a “greater value” within its people, with an environment that makes students feel “safe, welcome, comfortable, and challenged”. Amongst other speeches, I found myself inspired to not only make the most of my brief time here, but to become the best global citizen I can be in my future. I’m feeling very privileged in my capabilities to do so. I’m also gaining so much from all my classes, with extensive expertise, and overt passion and interest from both staff and students.

2. University of Sheffield Scholarship Evening – with Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Councillor Denise Fox & Lord Mayor’s Consort, Councillor Terry Fox.

As for the city centre, it is so fantastic that I’d call it a very mini version of London – being well equipped with the Red phone boxes, extravagant buildings and double decker buses! A section of the centre has a homely Rundle Mall feeling to it, and the cafés have the best of hipster vibes and quality coffee (yay!).

Truly can’t believe I get to live in such a beautiful place – still pinching myself! Although, I’ve been warned to start preparing for an intense winter by some Sheffield locals!

weisbrodtnov3

This entry was posted in Europe, Exchange, Faculty of Arts, GLObe Writers, Student Blogs, United Kingdom and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.