International Development Practice in Vietnam – Amy Rowe

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum

Amy Rowe (Bachelor of Social Sciences) participated in the study tour International Development in Vietnam in July, 2017. The following article consists of feedback received from Amy, and the abstract and conclusion of her final assignment for the study tour. 

My international development study tour to Vietnam was breathtaking and has left a lasting impression. I view the world so much differently now that I have seen how lucky we are here in Australia compared to other nations. This course has given me the confidence to pursue foreign development aid work in the future.

Hiking through Da Bac

Hiking through Da Bac

My ultimate goal after university is to undergo an international volunteering project, but I didn’t feel comfortable doing that until I had some practice. This course allowed me to open my eyes and experience the real world in all its aspects. This is something I have wanted to do for all of my academic career and am so pleased with how well it exceeded my expectations. What I have learnt and the memories will last a life time.

Abstract and conclusion from my final paper:
“Villages in the north of Vietnam are greatly affected by the cycle of poverty due to a combination of demographics. There has been an effort to reduce poverty by creating a sustainable local economy through village home stays for international tourists. This form of rural tourism has a focus on community engagement and cultural exchange. The scheme has heavy NGO support combined with micro financing programs.

In Sung Village with the villagers

In Sung Village with the villagers

The numerous benefits of Community based tourism include economic independence, improved infrastructure, and health. Future areas of development include accessing global reach through the Internet for awareness and advertising, along with creating and maintaining networking opportunities. Community based tourism is an effective and sustainable technique to reduce poverty in vulnerable areas. Given the correct training is available through donations and aid, the economic potential is immense. Multiple benefits from the development of infrastructure, hygiene, utilities, networking, collective engagement, cultural exchange, all aid in growing the resilience of rural village communities. The growth of Community based tourism provides an opportunity to break the cycle of poverty in northern rural Vietnam.”

This entry was posted in Short Programs, Student Videos, Study Tours, Vietnam and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.