Coming Back to Reality – Asat Mahmutov

Asat studied at the University of Mannheim in Semester 1, 2017 at part of his Bachelor of Finance.

Haus 43, Mannheim

Haus 43, Mannheim

I can’t believe it took my fourth year of university to finally go on exchange, even when I had planning on going on exchange since my first year of uni. I was always hesitant about going as I didn’t know if it was a ‘good idea’. But, I have to say it was the best decision I have ever made. I had an amazing time, made incredible friends from around the world, and saw some cool places.
I did my exchange in the small city of Mannheim in the southwest of Germany. I chose Mannheim because it was in central Europe, which would make travelling more convenient. Most people in Germany could also speak English (especially the younger generations) so I wouldn’t have to learn much German before leaving. Mannheim is also one of the best business schools in continental Europe, which was also made it a very appealing.

Portugal

Portugal

My first couple of days of exchange were the most boring, as there was no one in my dorm and the semester hadn’t started yet. But after my first housemate moved in, there was no more dull moments – he became one of my closest friends. Since all the other exchange students are in the same boat, everyone is eager to meet new people, make friends, experience new things, and have fun. You will never struggle to make friends. The university makes it easy for all the exchange students to interact with each other. The semester starts with a simple orientation where you meet plenty of people, and from there the university and VISUM (a student-run organisation for international students) will organise many events including parties and tours.

Morocco

Morocco

During the week you will do all of your study for classes, and weekends are purely for travelling. If you’re smart about it, it won’t even cost much if you look out for cheap flights, trains and buses. In fact, I went to Morocco return from Germany for 60 euros for one weekend (you wouldn’t even make it to Melbourne from Adelaide at that price).
All in all I have to say that my exchange experience was amazing and something that I could never be able to forget. Now that I’m back in Adelaide, I have come back to reality and can longer live the lifestyle that I lived in Europe, which is a bit sad. But, knowing that I was able to experience it makes me extremely grateful and eager to go back for new experiences.

This entry was posted in Exchange, Germany, Student Blogs and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.