The revised Plant/Equipment HSW Handbook chapter has been approved and is now available to view.
Changes to note are:
Electrical Testing and Tagging
- Revised requirements for Electrical testing and tagging to align with the new legislation.
(Please note that Appendix H includes decision trees to assist and clarify what is/isn’t required to be tested. A new Electrical Safety Information Sheet has also been drafted.
Please be aware that a number of electrical items will no longer require testing.
Residual Current Devices (RCDs)
- Changes to the requirements for Residual Current Devices
- Removal of the day to day testing recording – it needs to be conducted but not recorded. (not required under WHS legislation).
- Removal of the RCD tests and inspections record sheet (not required under WHS legislation).
- Requirement that tractors are not used unless they have a securely fitted roll-over protective structure (new requirement under WHS legislation).
- Specific requirement for a Safety Observer where electrical work is carried out on energised equipment (new requirement under WHS legislation).
- Removal of the requirement to:
- Maintain a Plant risk register. (Note – some Schools/Branches may wish to continue this activity if using the register for other purposes, but it is not required under WHS.)
- Maintain a specified hazardous Plant register (not required under WHS legislation).
- Maintain a Tag Out and Lockout register (not required under WHS legislation).
Acquisition, installation and commissioning of Plant/Equipment
- Clarification of:
- requirements for the review of hazards during the acquisition, installation and commissioning of Plant/Equipment;
- licensing requirements;
- the need to consult with Infrastructure Branch where there is a modification of infrastructure to accommodate the plant/equipment;
- requirements related to ensuring appropriate information is received from importers/suppliers (where applicable);
- the responsibility of Managers/Supervisors of areas which contain hazardous plant (including for assuring risk assessments, induction and training);
- the responsibility of all workers are to determine if a Plant/Equipment risk assessment is required using the Plant/Equipment decision tree
Please note that 3 information sheets (FAQs) have been developed to assist with clarifying the arrangements for certain requirements of the chapter.
- Electrical safety information sheet
- Plant Acquisition information sheet
- Vehicle Safety Management information sheet
Please contact a member of the HSW Team with any comments, questions or feedback.