The revised HSW Handbook Chapter ‘Incident Reporting and Investigation has now been posted on the HSW Website.
Key Changes to Note
This revision aims to take into account the recommendations of the HSW procedural review in 2014 and the changes to the Work Health And Safety Legislation SA (2012). The revision also aims to:
- provide clarification on:
- incident notification requirements.
- when an incident report is necessary and the recording requirements.
- the level of investigation required for each incident. Investigation will now be based on the severity of the incident (Minor/low risk Incident, Significant Incident, Notifiable Incident). A new Incident Investigation guidance chart (Appendix A) is provided within the chapter to assist Schools/Branches to determine the level. Investigation templates are also provided for both Significant and Notifiable Incidents.
- ensure that investigations focus on the review of existing control measures for implementation and effectiveness.
- ensure that contributing factors and associated outcomes are considered systemically as part of the investigation and prevention strategy.
- consider the impact of any investigation findings in line with the relevant HSW Handbook chapter(s) and if/how the incident impacts the revised Traffic Light Report to the UHSC.
Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact your Division/Faculty HSW Manager.