The revised HSW Handbook chapter “Radiation Safety Management” has now been posted on the HSW Website.
Key Changes to Note
The key changes to the chapter for noting are:
- Alignment of the annual dose rate for radiation workers to the legislation (20milliSV). Please note that Human Resources will still investigate if a worker is looking to reach or exceed 1/20th of the annual dose rate.
- Removal of the term Local Radiation Administration Coordinator (as the activity does not need a title).
- Clarification that Human Resources is responsible for supplying the EPA with required documents (Licence to Possess, Radiation Safety Management Plan and Waste Management Plan) and ASNO documentation to Canberra.
- Clarification on when an activity requires competency (i.e. EPA licences), or a person can work under a licenced person, when training and information is required and what does supervision look like.
- Addition of an annual audit (required by the EPA licence to possess).
- Simplification of the information on:
- monitoring tasks and equipment;
- personal monitoring;
- facilities, storage, transportation and record keeping;
- emergency and accidents; and
- Addition of the XRF and XRD equipment monitoring and the exemption on personal monitoring granted by EPA in July 2016.
- Addition of information regarding storage and handling of dosimeters during domestics and internal air travel.
- Addition of an incident investigation form.
Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact your Division/Faculty HSW Manager.