Human Resources have been working on a revised version of the HSW Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and Training Plan Chapter of the HSW Handbook.
The amendments are tracked in red in the document.
The key changes to the chapter for noting are –
- The title and content have been amended to “HSW Training Plan” in lieu of “HSW Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and Training Plan”.
- The requirements to maintain a Training Plan have been reduced. Schools/Branches/Areas now only need to maintain a Training Plan (or equivalent) and records for level 2 (Proficiencies) and Level 3 (Training e.g. competency/licence/qualification). Therefore it is now possible that some Schools/Branches/areas will not need to maintain a Training Plan as no level 2 or level 3 instruction/training are required.
- Level 1 information (which includes the HSW induction(s) does not need to be recorded on the Training Plan. This will reduce the administrative workload for the person(s) responsible for managing the Training Plan(s).
- The responsibilities of the Head of School/Branch have been reduced. The Head of School/Branch now determines if Training Plans are required, the format which best meets the needs of the School/Branch, nominating someone to manage the records and allocating appropriate resources.
The responsibilities that have been removed relate specifically to a Supervisor (i.e. the person who is responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the worker) and a new section has been created in the chapter under section 184.108.40.206.
- The contents of the chapter have been aligned with the recently revised Provision of HSW information, instruction and training
For those Schools/areas who are currently using a Laboratory Log book system.
It would be appreciated if, as part of your feedback, you could provide us with the criteria used by your School/area to maintain compliance. This can then be used by Schools/Branches/Areas considering this option i.e. in lieu of maintaining a Training Plan. This will then be included in Appendix E.
Should you wish to discuss any of the changes or requirements please do not hesitate to contact your Senior HSW Advisor.