The HSW Training Plan Chapter of the HSW Handbook was approved on 6 June 2017.
The key changes to the chapter for noting are –
- The title and content have been amended to “HSW Training Plan” in lieu of “HSW Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and Training Plan”.
- The requirements to maintain a Training Plan have been reduced. Schools/Branches/Areas now only need to maintain a Training Plan (or equivalent) and records for level 2 (Proficiencies) and Level 3 (Training e.g. competency/licence/qualification). Therefore it is now possible that some Schools/Branches/areas will not need to maintain a Training Plan where no level 2 or level 3 instruction/training are required.
NOTE: It is important to understand that areas with laboratories and workshops are encouraged to have local (lab or workshop based) plans and records rather than School based ones. This reduces administrative overheads and duplication.
- Level 1 information (which includes the HSW induction(s) and HSW online training) does not need to be recorded on the Training Plan. This will reduce the administrative workload for the person(s) responsible for managing the Training Plan(s).
- The responsibilities of the Head of School/Branch have been rewritten to move from the Head of School those that in the previous chapter related specifically to ensuring that Supervisor’s (i.e. the person who is responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the worker) undertook specific activities.
- These responsibilities have now been separated out as the responsibility of supervisors under a new section in the chapter to make the responsibility of supervisors clearer (section 18.104.22.168).
The Head of School/Branch now has responsibility to determine if Training Plans are required, the format which best meets the needs of the School/Branch, nominating someone (or where locally held this may be various supervisors) to manage the records. Noting that the chapter also allows for the Faculty HSW Team to determine the above where this is agreed with the Head of School.
The contents of the chapter have been aligned with the recently revised Provision of HSW information, instruction and training
Should you wish to discuss any of the changes or requirements please do not hesitate to contact your Senior HSW Advisor.