Human Resources have been working on a revised version of the Schedule of Programmable Events Chapter of the HSW Handbook.
It should be noted that if Schools/Branches are following the requirements of the existing Schedule of Programmable Events chapter then the transition to the requirements under the revised process will be minimal.
The key changes to the chapter for noting are –
- The name of the chapter has been amended to “Faculty/Division HSW Planning (formerly Schedule of Programmable Events)”.
Whilst the objectives of this process have not changed significantly, the change in name is to simplify and clarify what this process is about.
i.e. It is nothing more than a HSW plan which identifies:
- all the key activities within the Faculty/Division which require a specific safety check/activity at a specific frequency/time;
- who is responsible for the check/activity; and
- if the planned activities have/have not been completed.
- The HSW plan is to be authorised by the Executive Dean/Divisional Head
The plan for the forthcoming year is to be authorised by the Executive Dean/Divisional Head by 31 December each year.
The Executive Dean/Divisional Head is then aware:
- of the activities to be conducted in order to meet the WHS Legislative requirements;
- that responsibilities for completion have been assigned; and
- that appropriate resourcing is available.
(This is part of undertaking Due Diligence as an Officer under the WHS Act 2012 (SA) – Section 27.)
- The activities on the HSW Plan are to be monitored on a quarterly basis by the Faculty Technical Services Manager or equivalent (e.g. Research Technical Services Manager, Faculty HR Manager or Faculty Executive Manager) or Head of Branch.
The monitoring of the plan is now completed by the local Faculty HSW Team or the Head of Branch in lieu of the School/Branch Health and Safety Committee (or equivalent) to align with the post PSR structure.
- Quarterly progress reports are to be provided to the Executive Dean/Divisional Head by the local Faculty HSW Team/Head of Branch
The progress reports are to identify and explain why any of the planned and authorised activities were not completed as scheduled and/or corrective action to be taken. This responsibility was previously undertaken by the Health and Safety (or equivalent) Committee.
- A copy of the final report is to be provided to the Executive Dean/Divisional Head and a copy provided to the Associate Director, HSW for audit purposes.
- A new template will be provided in addition to the existing SPE (calendar format) which is more in line with a traditional “Action Plan” format.
It would be appreciated if you could review and provide any feedback/suggested amendments via the Policies website before COB Monday 4 December 2017.
Should you wish to discuss any of the changes or requirements please do not hesitate to contact your Senior HSW Advisor.