The revised HSW Handbook Chapter “Noise and Sound Safety Management” has now been posted on the HSW Website.
The key points for noting:
- A new action has been included for all workers (Refer 3.1) to report any work related noise and sound safety hazards/issue(s), in addition to the Supervisor/person in control of the area/activity.
- The responsibilities for the Supervisor (i.e. the person in control of the activity/area) have been clarified.
- To assist Supervisors in the selection of appropriate measures to control (eliminate/minimise) the risk of exposure, a new Appendix C (with examples) has been provided,.
- Audiometric testing is to be provided for any workers who are required to wear hearing protection as a control measure, for noise and sound, that exceeds the exposure standard.
- Monitoring of overdue corrective actions is still a requirement, however the Faculty/Division has the option of monitoring through a Faculty/Division management forum or committee, to provide flexibility.
- References to noise include sound e.g. any sound created by music, speech, plant/equipment and/or the environment.
Should you wish to discuss any of the changes or requirements please do not hesitate to contact your Senior HSW Advisor.