Lodging a Tax Return

The financial year will end this Sunday 30th June. If you work in Australia while you are studying you must lodge a tax return each year to tell the ATO your annual income so they can work out how much tax you must pay. Tax returns cover the financial year, which ends on 30 June. The ATO use the information you provide to work out the amount of your tax refund or tax debt. If you’ve paid too much tax and are entitled to a refund, lodging a tax return is the way you get this money back.

You can prepare and lodge your tax return online using e-tax, by mailing a paper return or by using a registered tax agent.

Tax Help Program

Low income earners may be eligible for the free Tax Help Program.  See the Tax Help section of the ATO web for more details.

Returning Home

Depending on your circumstances, when you leave Australia you may be able to:

  • lodge your tax return early
  • claim your super

For more details see the Returning to your home country section of the ATO web.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.