A trip to Flinders Ranges

By Hanying (Violet) Wang

This is a review on her Flinders Ranges Trip with ‘Words on Wheels’ by Violet.

“Hello readers, my name is Hanying (Violet) Wang, and I am an international student from China. It is very lucky for me to live in this beautiful South Australia. I do love traveling around and I have already got 2 tours with ‘Words on Wheels’ to South East Australia and Kangaroo Island, that were awesome!

Last week, I had my third tour with them to Outback Australia (Flinders ranges) for three days. So the story starts with an amazing melon. The first time I got off the car at Flinders Ranges, the little things attracted my eyes, because it is really like a watermelon but much smaller, I think it is very common seen beside the road. Jimmy, who is our docent (also a fantastic master chef!) had told me that it was called paddy melon.Yes! I really wanted to taste it; especially after hearing it is a melon, it should be good! But lastly, I decided to keep one as a memento.H Wang_1

We had two nights at Flinders range and our place was near by a hill, so we decided to climb the hill to watch the sunrise. We started to walk by using flashlight in the dark; sat on the top of the mountain, enjoyed every scene with my new friends. It was an unforgettable experience in my life. I really appreciate that.

H Wang_2

On our second day, handsome Matt who is our driver for these three days led us to explore the diverse fauna like yellow-footed rock wallaby. They belong to the same taxonomic family as kangaroos, but I think it is cuter! They are all naughty and hiding between the rocks; so that, we have to pay more attention on particular area, if something moves, it is them!! And also, we went to so many lookouts and photograph the spectacular scenes. One more memorable thing in our trip was the camel ride! It was the first time I rode a camel, or even riding a horse. To be honest, I was pretty nervous cause they are huge. I was worried they would drop me down if I did something wrong they might be angry. It turns out that I worried too much, my camel is a girl, she walked slowly as I expected, the only thing I needed to do when riding a camel was to hold on to the saddle as she provided a front to back and side to side motion.

H Wang_3

I never had such a great experience when I was in china, and feel so lucky that I have got many friends; who are from Japan, Germany and Saudi Arabia. Really looking forwards to my next tour with ‘Words on Wheels’. Cheers !!”

This entry was posted in Student Posts, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.