Enrolment advice for student visa holders

International students on a student visa are required to complete their degree within the time specified on their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Students can only extend the duration of their study in a limited set of circumstances; therefore, it is important that you take measures to ensure that you are on track to complete your degree within the duration of your current CoE.

A student visa is usually granted based on a study load of 12 units in a semester or 24 units in a year for semester-based programs, or 9 units in a trimester or 27 units in a year for trimester-based programs.

If you are enrolled in less than 12 units in the current study period, and therefore you may be at risk of not completing your program within the time frame specified on your CoE. However, if you understand that you are on track to complete your program within your CoE duration, due to any of the below-listed reasons or circumstances, you don’t need to take any further action.

  • You have received credit or advanced standing for previous studies;
  • You have undertaken courses in Winter or Summer School, have enrolled in more than a standard full-time load in an earlier study period, or your program requires you to enrol in both Semesters and Trimesters, and the reduced study load in this study period will still allow you to complete your program within your CoE duration;
  • You are enrolled in an approved course/s at another university that have yet to be credited to your University of Adelaide degree;
  • This is your final semester;
  • Your Faculty has identified you as being at risk of making unsatisfactory academic progress and placed you on an Intervention Strategy with a reduced study load this semester;
  • You are unable to enrol full-time due to an illness or disability. You must provide a medical certificate from your treating doctor in support of your reduced study load for the period. This should be provided to your Faculty Office so that a copy can be placed on your student record;

If none of the reasons outlined above applies to your situation, you should consult a Program Advisor within your School or Faculty to develop an enrolment plan that will enable you to complete your degree within the duration of your current CoE.

Should you require any further information or clarification about this email, please contact International Student Support.

This entry was posted in Information and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.