Staff in Focus: Associate Professor Christopher Symes

1. What qualifications do you have?
I graduated from Adelaide Law School in 1989 after being an undergrad from 1985-1988. I had previously studied accounting. I spent 1989 getting my Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from South Aust Institute of Tech. I received my Master of Laws from Adelaide Law School in 1996, my Grad Cert in Tertiary Ed in 1997, my Master of Education in 2003 and my PhD in 2006. I was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 1989.

2. What have you been doing since graduation?
I worked as a commercial lawyer for Camatta Lempens and did some work as a Project Officer for Norwood Community Legal Service (now Roma Mitchell Community Legal Centre) before becoming a full time academic in 1993. I have taught both business students and law students’ lots of commercial-flavoured law since such as corporate law, commercial law, insolvency law, banking and finance law, securities regulation, tax law and even the basics in foundations of law.

3. What have you enjoyed most about your time teaching at Adelaide
I have enjoyed the staff, most of the students, the view from my window, the memory lane moments, the proximity to Adelaide Oval stadium, the overseas travel and connections, the walks to Oxfam bookshop at lunchtimes, the bakeries en route to work, the number of PhD supervisions… the list goes on.

4. What’s your favourite pass-time?
Running 10k every Sunday morning at Belair, reading good Irish and Australian literature and I’ve just bought a block of sand at that famous lawyer’s beach about 60kms south of Adelaide.

5. If you could give advice to your 20 year-old self, what would you say?
Do an exchange/study abroad as part of your Adelaide degree. Never buy a 4 cyclinder Holden.

6. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
Alan Rickman (see movies like Love Actually) or when I’m in my tracksuit Mick Malthouse (see West Coast, Carlton, Collingwood etc)

This entry was posted in Events, News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.