From 1 January 2018, a revised National Code under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 will come into effect. The code sets standards that govern the provision of education to international students holding a student visa by Australian registered providers.
The University and other international education providers must demonstrate compliance with the standards to maintain their CRICOS registration to provide education services to international students.
The National Code 2018 has been modified with the aim of improving protection for international students and reducing the regulatory burden on registered providers. Some of these changes include:
- Specific reference to Australian Consumer Law in Standard 1.
- Formalising in Standard 3 what information must be provided in student enrolment agreements and acceptance information.
- Recognising the role of state authorities in protecting younger overseas students. Standard 5 now references the need for registered providers to meet local regulatory requirements related to the welfare and protection of younger international students.
- Support services for overseas students. Registered providers are now required in Standard 6 to provide information about services on employment rights and conditions and for staying safe.
- Increased online learning for student visa holders. Standard 8 has been modified to allow one third of a course to be undertaken online, increased from the current 25%.