BLOGS WEBSITE

Barr Smith Library redesign – what would you like?

The Library, in conjunction with Property Services, is planning a redesign of the Barr Smith Library. This will be a major undertaking, and will take a number of years to complete, but at this early stage we would very much like to hear your ideas. Please tell us, by leaving a comment on this message, or by email, what you would like to see in a redesigned Barr Smith.

Long term plans include new entrances and stairs, and relocation of some services.

In the shorter term (this year) we are intending to redesign Level 3 North, relocating the Unbound journals and moving the group discussion and student computers from levels one and two to this area. Levels one and two would then become areas for quiet study only. Other possible ideas for this area include a cafe or vending machines, and lounge seating. Again, we’d love to hear your thoughts on this change. Please leave us a comment with your ideas, preferably by June 10 for consideration by the project group.

All ideas welcome!

This entry was posted in Surveys. Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses

1. Angus says:

I think a redesign is a great idea.

In the short time I think that installing a cafe and lounge would be a great idea. It would be nice to have all the facilities all in the one place making it perfect for one of those days when you just want to do research. This would also double as compensation for the loss of Rumours Cafe and would provide an additional food outlet for the university.

As for any longer term redevelopments, I think it would be great to see natural light utilised to a better extent. The Library feels too much like a dungeon and natural light achieved through and increased use of glass would, as a more and more designers and architects are demonstrating, give the building less of a dungeon feel. Further to this it would be great if toilet facilities were increased so that there were sufficient facilities on all levels rather than the top level.

The Bar Smith Reading Room could do with revamp, the chairs are getting a little bit old and could do with replacement or restoration.

Just some ideas….

Thanks

2. Vaisnavi says:

well, i’m a bit of an older sort of a person, and i really wish there was more comfortable seating to really get absorbed in a book or two. not too loungey or we’d fall asleep, but something comfy.

i think your choice of carpet design will be important because it will give so much to the atmosphere of the place. if the pattern is too small and the colour too light then grubby marks will show too much. people do wear thier outdoor shoes in there after all. of course, a seventies swirl design would be a bit much, but something along those lines would camoflague dirt and wear & tear. what about navy blue? what about deep green? the present grey is a bit, well, grey. and grubby.

also, wood. you can’t have too much wood.

best. v.

3. Dana says:

The study rooms on level 1 which are used for groups get too loud for their location. Given that they are not completely isolated rooms and are right next to the silent study area, you can hear them as clear as if they weren’t in one. Hopefully this will be also considered in moving the group areas to level 3.

If you are thinking about a cafe or vending machine then hopefully you are considering changing the policy of no food and drink in the library. Perhaps you could consider a no hot food rule like they have at the UniSA city west library. Coupled with a cleaner, there shouldn’t be too much concern of rat infestation.

I haven’t seen anyone in the reference collection now that the shelves have been halved in size. Perhaps they can be integrated into the main collection. The unbound journals don’t seem to get much interest as well so they also could be integrated into the main collection next to the bound journals.

4. David Fishlock says:

I have a few suggestions you might want to consider. First and most importantly a more welcoming entrance is necessary – something along the lines of the adjoining computer lab would be ideal – more couches to use while waiting for people – perhaps with a couple of today’s newspapers out as well.

Something similar to Flinders (Central) Library’s touch screens to locate free computers near the entrance(s), along with more computers in general would also be handy. On a less development side – when printing – maybe show a popup map of where the actual printer is? It would help people unfamiliar with the library significantly. Also just deduct the price for printing from the print quota like normal computer pools for students – keep the swipe card option as just a backup for non Adelaide Uni users.

Wider steps on the stairwell near the lift (or just something to make them less likely to fall down them) would be a good idea – I’ve fallen down them a couple of times now!

Greater soundproofing in private study rooms would also be beneficial, and toilet facilities should also be upgraded.

Finally regardng a cafeteria in the Barr Smith – quite frankly I think such a suggestion is a poor waste of space – not to mention a cafe would be excessively loud. Keep the library as a library. However if it were feasible, utilising the lower level courtyard in the middle of Hughes Plaza for such a project might be a better idea? (It is such an awful waste of space!) However such a project would hinge on whether there could be access to this via the library (given the recent fire escape I’m imagining it could work) – however such a project is rather ambitious to say the least.

Anyway I hope that might give you some food for thought.

Dave.

5. Wasteful??? says:

Why not save the money and use it to improve the collection of books and journals?!?!?!

It is a library after all, designed to house information and ideas. Wouldn’t the best way to improve it therefore be to improve the available books and journals?

6. Ben says:

My understanding of the design of the library is that the underground levels connect to the Hughes building (through the Image and Copy Centre), and at least come close to connecting to the Napier building. Although I appreciate that more staff would be required for security reasons, I think that these access points should be exploited to allow students direct underground access to the library from the Hughes, Napier and Horace Lamb buildings, without the need to cross the Hughes Plaza in the rain.

7. Carys says:

A normal, unrestricted study area would be great. It’s fine in summer when the weather allows you to study outside with friends(e.g. proof-reading, practising oral presentations etc.), but when it gets cold and wet, there are very few devoted *study* areas (as opposed to general congregational areas like the Mayo) where people can study together and still access the library’s resources while being able to converse.

Maybe also access to the library from the other side of the building, and not solely from the stairs. (I know this would need more staff, but it would just be handy. It’s a pain when you’re in Engineering South and have to go the whole way around, instead of being able to go straight there).

And maybe more computers. Expensive, but they’re needed, particularly as quite a few students don’t have access to computers or the internet anywhere else (and education seems to be placing ever more emphasis on both of these).

8. Patrick says:

I feel that the funds and space required to install a cafe could be spent in updating computer no’s, underground access, more books and couches. Study rooms for groups should be isolated or at least distanced from the quiet study areas.

I would like to add that there is not enough space to lock bikes up in the uni. Putting notes on people’s bikes telling them not to lock there bike up doesn’t solve the problem.

Not necessarily cages. However the option to lock the bikes up undercover would be appreciated.

thanks

9. Jennifer says:

1. Study areas for groups- if possible some could have a dedicated ‘group computer’ – Flinders medical library has these and they’re really handy. Even if they just have power coming to each of the tables to plug in a laptop that would be fantastic. I agree with the moving of the group area, or placing them in sound-proofed rooms.
    2. Area of comfortable seating- perhaps nearer to the entrance to be inviting as well as use for groups if in little ‘nooks’.
    3. Increase the amount of natural light by as much as possible.
    4. Thick carpet to soak in noise. I like the earlier mentioned green option 🙂
    5. I agree that a cafe wouldn’t be a great option in a library. Too many other ways can use the space more effectively. If we indeed do need another one I would prefer the plaza option too.
    6. An overhaul of the collection would be a good idea- there are many that are so out of date it’s unhelpful to have them in the library. Of course keep the ‘nostalgic’ quota, but a rationalisation will allow more space for more up to date texts. In my opinion Flinders Medical library’s collection is superior to Adelaides in the area of Medicine.
    7. Improved heating- was always quite cold in winter (especially in the sub-levels) – hopefully also will be addressed by increasing natural light.
    8. I agree with greater accessibility- at least two entrances? Frustrating to have to go all the way around and up all those stairs to get in. You can have a self check-out at the other entrance and the same type of exit as the main entrance. If any issues would still have to go to the main entrance, but wouldn’t necessarily increase staffing that way.

10. Geoff says:

Dear Library,
    1 – It is absolutely vital that lap top work stations be created with suitable electrical outlets.
    More and more students are adopting laptops as their main study tool. The study desks and other facilities must be adapted to serve users.
    2- There should also be more computers available 24/7 and an improved and upgraded printing service.
    3 – The library should be open longer on the weekends and should NOT close on public holidays.
    Thanks
    Geoff Ellwand

11. Joel says:

I agree with the above comments – There definitely needs to be another access point on the other side of the library, and more access to computers. Another cafe is really not something that is needed. There are myriad cafes within minutes of the library. I think that most students would agree that another computer area with unrestricted printer access would be a better way to spend that money. More lounge and conference areas are also needed. That laptop workstation idea is excellent.

I’ve always thought that it would nice to have desks with pull-down lockable covers on them. For instance when you are studying in the library and you need to leave all your things on your desk to get some more books, you can simply pull down the cover on the desk and lock all your things inside. This would operate in a similar manner to the study rooms – you would borrow a key from the front desk for a few hours. Maybe demerit points would start accruing or something if the system was abused in any way. That would be very convenient.

12. Tanya says:

I agree that it would be very convenient to have another entrance/exit on the eastern side of the library – it would certainly save walking all the way around the building and up and down a few flights of stairs!

13. tracey says:

I agree with many of the above correspondents on the topic of more natural light. My main anxiety when I enter the library is finding a computer. Often there are none available at all, and some of my limited study time is wasted waiting for a computer to become available and searching all three levels of the library. I like the idea one of the other respondents had about being able to locate an available computer when you enter the library. An extra entrance or two would be convenient, too.

14. William says:

1)More stations for laptops 2)Study rooms that are insulated from noise. 3)Longer hours of operation could be useful. 4)Additional computer suites scattered through out the library. 5)Policing either via video or CCTV system that could be used to limit the operation of thieves.

15. Alex says:

I would like you to remember that the most useful thing the library can do is to make books and journals available! There are plenty of other places where people can find computers and cafes, but good books seem to become scarcer every year. What has happened to the City of Adelaide Lending Libraries in recent years is a major tragedy: please don’t go down the same path. Put the books on the shelves, and make sure people can find them.

16. A library staff member says:

Actually Tracey, you CAN find out where a student computer is available in the Library. Either go into the 24 hr computer suite and have a look at the plasma screen above the stand-up machines – it displays real-time availability of student PCs in all university computer suites, including all levels of the Barr Smith Library. Or you can ask staff on the Information Desk and they can look at student PC availability for you on the ITS web site.

17. Dave says:

Just to respond to the staff members post about existing options to find computers – they just don’t work well – as seen by the many people wandering around in search of a computer!

Due to the plasma being tucked away in a nook few people see it upon entrance unless they enter through the swipe card door. Furthermore it’s not user friendly – we don’t want wait for the system to tick through all the areas just to see where the computers are in use – just direct us straight to where we need to go to get a free computer!

As for talking to staff on the desk – it merely wastes staff time and fewer people are likely to engage in the face-to-face conversation. (Such are the times we live in – take a look at the self-service borrowing). Give me an impersonal computer any day! (No offense)

18. Anne says:

I’d most like to see a more current and estensive range of materials, particularly publications, and some ever-elusive SILENCE.

19. Jessie Edwards says:

This is very exciting!

I agree with many of the points already raised: An entrance on the Maths/Engineering/Napier side of things; more natural light; more computers, books and journals; more group study areas; and a welcoming entrance off of the stairs.

I agree that a full-scale cafe would be a waste of money and space, but I would welcome one about the size of Briefs in Ligertwood, which is basically a coffee machine and some nut bars. A coffee vending machine would be a tragedy.

I personally like all the unbound journals in one place because it means you can catch up on new issues in a comfy chair without having to walk around too much.

In conclusion: coffee.

20. Hansel/Gretal says:

how about some complimentary bread upon entry into the library so that my brother can leave a trail, in case we get lost? it’s scary down there 🙁

21. Rebekah says:

As an Adelaide Uni student with a disability, such that I cannot use stairs or travel quickly, I find access is the biggest problem with the library. I would like access to:

1. The library from both the Hughes Plaza level, and the Union Hall level (In a free hour I cannot get any significant study done: by the time I have got into the library via the meandering wheelchair accesses available at the uni, located the books I want, found a suitable area to study (again, waiting for lifts) and set up, I have very little time left before I have to do the whole thing in reverse, to get to the next lecture.)

2. More computers. (Wandering the levels, looking for computers is not a good option with my disability, and I don’t think much of the idea locating a free one at the entrance, because by the time I got there it would invariably be taken.)

3. More study desks around the reference section (I do use this a lot, and it is often difficult to find a place within easy access.)

4. Toilets on every level

5. More study desks, located all over the library, so I can access one near the section I am using.

6. Lockable desks, so I do not constantly having to pack up every time I need to access toilets, food, computer, reference book etc.

To me, these issues are infinitely more important than a cafe, comfy reading chairs, green carpet etc.

22. bookwirm says:

modbury public library has great little plastic baskets on trolleys for folk to put books in so we don’t have to carry armloads around. it also has a pleasant & fragrant coffee corner.

23. Ben says:

I would love a corner of the library where i could enjoy a coffee. Coffee drinking could be restricted to a small area to prevent damage/mess but it would make long study sessions a lot easier.

I’d love more natural light.

Don’t change the reading room too much. it has so much character!! but more comfy cushions on the chairs would be nice.

The uni’s free computer plasma screens are a waste of time. if it advertises a free computer, chances are that by the time you get there it’s not free any more.

Maybe by encouraging laptop use in the library there would be less pressure on the other computers. Maybe you could adopt a ‘quick print’ computer where people can print from a usb drive and pay by swipe card.

But if printing from the student computers, the swipe card system is a pain. Use the student print quota used everywhere else in the library.

24. Sonia Laidlaw says:

the library should be the focus of the whole university. I have never understood why the ‘old’ entrances have been closed- effectively isolating the Barr Smith to an inconvenient entrance, slung mid way to what?
    I have often wondered what it would be like to access the beautiful building of the reading room through the original doors and to depart down the stairs to the sun filled’green’. Do not fall into the trap that new plans are better then the original architect’ vision. Being in a old and beautiful place encourages inspiration.

25. Rogan says:

I think it’s a real tragedy that the beautiful entrance off the maths lawns is not used. First impressions count for a lot, and the reading room gives a much stronger sense of the tradition and history of the university than the current entrance, yet most people never see it because it’s behind the catacombs/dungeon beneath the main part of the library.

Of course, as an engineering & maths student an entrance on that side would be particularly handy for me!

26. whatnick says:

I have had a lot of pleasant time in the library over the years.

The bottom levels feel stuffy and dungeon-like as mentioned. They could use some sort of rearrangement and definitely more natural light.

Better laptop support since these days nearly everyone has one. There is a lot of mention of printing, so may be network printer accessible by all students with their university wide password – going against ITS quota.

Re-opening of the original grand entrance which feature on all classic Adelaide Uni photos and I feel cheated when I see it closed.

Cone-of-Silence for those pesky two-somes … er separate group study areas.

Better book collection and of course electronic Journal and Society subscriptions. One of my major disappointments is the lack of access to full IEEE database, I have to go to UniSA(granted they are richer) and beg for articles.

That’s most of what I would like to see. Put it in your budgets.

27. carol says:

Change the Barr Smith! Well, I do rather agree with comment 24, about the old entrances. But please, no food smells and the mess and clatter of a cafe. The outside world is full of cafes and the BS is about books, quiet, research, reading, wandering through the stacks. Part of the joy of it is that the outside world is kept at bay. Too much light would be bad for the books, wouldn’t it, and a certain level of dimness is good for maintaining concentration. If it ain’t broke, as they say…

28. Darda says:

I would love to see a small cafe – good coffee, wholemeal sandwiches, cool drinks.
    Secondly, as I am getting older, getting up the stairs is a pain, (literally). Access on the lower level would be really good, with lifts going up from there.

Then, on the other hand, I am quite nostalgic for the library of my youth – can we have a card system again – such a lovely place to meet other people, getting up close and personal!

29. Darda says:

A bit late but I took the time to scan through the previous comments. I am certain I remember a bicycle lock up place under cover down near the old entrance (the beautiful steps to the beautiful old library) – I must go and see if it still exists as I remember.

And people are wrong if they don’t want a real coffee place – I NEED it.

30. susan wilson says:

It would be great to have a touch screen interactive display of the rooms and resources of the library so you could do a virtual tour of the library or just locate a specific thing ie a printer on level 2. It would also be great to type in your book number and be shown where it is located in the building and how to get there. It’s hard when you first use the Barr Smith, because it is so extensive, to know where all the journals, help desks, friendly librarians, computers etc are.

31. Paul says:

What a waste of money. Spend the money on more subscriptions to electronic databases and journals – e.g. Knovel, a database of complete, full-text, recently published textbooks.

Oh that’s right, the property maintenance bucket of money is separate to the purchasing bucket, so we’ll have to spend the property bucket on chairs and study distractions.

32. rhys says:

I think the existing entrance is fine. Traffic through the reading room would disturb the quiet atmosphere.

It would be good, as someone else suggested, if the group/loud study areas could be kept to one level, or maybe removed from the bottom level.

It would also be good to have some computers in quieter areas, or ‘silent’ computers. It’s virtually impossible to study at the computers in the library when there are groups of people either using the adjacent computers or making noise from the adjacent study areas/tables.

Also, could web access be limited from the 4 reference computers on the lower levels. It’s frustrating needing to wait for someone to finish checking their university email, or myuni when you only need to do a quick catalogue search.

Finally, the group study rooms on levels 1 and 2 are ineffective and should be removed or noise proofed. Too often there is one group making a lot of noise while everyone else attempts to study quietly outside.

And no food/cafe!

33. Kingsley says:

I too would like to see an alternative entry to the BSL for students and staff coming from east of Frome road – the Medical and Dental Schools and RAH. A single exit is acceptable.
    The new books section could be designed more ergometrically; there seems to be no good reason to be bending to view the spines of new books when there are only two or three shelves. Having comfy chairs beside the new books is an idea worth keeping.
    I support those who value an inviting and comfortable library environment.

34. Svetlana says:

I would really like the quiet study areas to be not only the usual classroom-type grid of tables. A few separate ones hidden away in various places (like those gray chairs in the far corner of lvl 2) would be nice, too. That’s just the romantic talking, but for me a library should be a bit of a adventure 🙂

Utilising the natural light is good, however, not everybody wants to sit near a glass wall… A wall should stay a wall, even in some areas windows are made bigger. Anyway, the “dungeon feel” is a very nice part of this library, much better than the contemporary style of the State Library.

More books – definitely agree, although you shouldn’t get rid of the old ones, too. I never imagined to see some of the ancient ones I’ve found here!

A cafe – well, that would greatly increase the number of wrappers around the library, so better not.

More computers would be good, they are always busy (although, they will be, anyway). The point is, they don’t need to be expensive! A pretty old hardware set can easily support a Linux system with Firefox for Internet browsing, OpenOffice for word processing, together with other bits and pieces for calculations, programming, etc. at a decent running speed. This software is free, old computers are recycled, cheap and use less energy. A pretty cheap and environmentally friendly way and the users will hardly know the difference.

Less budget spent on computers – more budget for subscriptions, books, magazines, chairs, carpets… But, please, please, don’t make the carpet too bright!

35. Brendan says:

I’d like the study rooms to be sound-proofed and have more privacy (i.e. smaller windows).

36. Erika says:

I hope the library could put in somthing like a cafe or some such. Also, I think the 24 hour computer suite at the library is often full, and even computers inside the library itself are always occupied, incorporating more computers would be great. As for the design, I prefer a very classic and ancient feel for the library, as it will feels more like a real library.

37. Stewart says:

Ban Facebook/Myspace/Youtube on library computers, I love those sites as much as the next person but I can’t even count the number of times I’ll looked for a computer to do a cataloge search or work to have all the computers taken by people on such sites. Save that stuff for home and leave the library computers for people to do uni work.

I would also like to see better study rooms that are sound-proof and have better lighting/access to powerpoints.

38. Victoria says:

The silent rooms are great but they really shouldn’t be the exception to the rule and their lack of computers is dumbfounding. How about creating some isolated sound-proofed rooms with computers for people who wish to have discussion thus allowing the remainder of the library to be quiet?

Alternately, we could draw a line down the middle of the library a la I Love Lucy and designate one half to ‘talkers’ the other to ‘quiet types’.

39. CJ says:

I’ve read over most of the comments and some are worth reading. While the old entrance to the lib is exquisite, I think that any renovations to that area of the lib would be tragic, and take away from the quiet little nook appeal of that spot. And it would also require some modernisation and allocation of staff in that area. Both undesirable! No cafes are needed in the library- there is a cafe just one flight of steps down near unibooks, or up one flight of steps at the art gallery, or even near the performing arts centre. Also, people may be inclined to open their lib books at the cafe- spillage = ruined books! this should only happen to our embarrassment in the privacy of our own homes!
    I think that change would best be served with increased study areas, money for journal subscriptions and more books books books!
    I love how our lib displays new artwork from time to time! fabulous inspiration to be had!
    Goodluck with the rest!

40. Samara says:

Reinforcing previous suggestions, I can see a need for improvement int he following areas:

1)Natural lighting
    2)Additional under-cover bike racks
    3)Modest coffee making facilities
    (definately not vending-machine coffee!)
    4)Comfortable noise-contained eating area
    5)Upgraded laptop facilities
    6)More group-study rooms
    7)More computers

In addition, I would say that the library could adopt a number of simple visual aids to assist patrons so they may quickly and easily identify general areas (i.e journals, group study rooms) and to assist with navigation. In consultation with an interior/information designer,the Barr Smith could adopt a subtle colour-coding of levels and areas, perhaps in conjunction with some developed images, which connect with matching colours/images within signage and prominantly placed maps.

A more considered display area to show off the University’s wonderful archive of material–as well as the talents of the Special Collections team–would be a bonus.

41. Bec says:

1. The biggest problem I have with the library is that there never seems to be enough room for everyone unless you get there very early or very late. I can very rarely find a free computer or a study area that isn’t full. I think it would be nice to have a few small study rooms that students can book in advance to use for group assignments and study groups- I’ve heard that such rooms have existed, but I’m not sure if they’re still available.

2. I really like the dungeon-y feel of the library. I love windows as a source of light but it would be a shame to have this library converted into another glassy, concrete-y modern structure. While those buildings have their place, in my opinion they don’t really fit the feel of this University. And what would happen to the Reading Room!? It would look completely out of place unless it got a similar makeover, and that would be awful. The Reading Room is lovely just as it is.

3. I don’t think the library needs its own cafe. There are a lot of obvious problems associated with books and food. I do think that hot drinks should be allowed- I don’t like coffee myself, but I know a lot of people who need it to get through the afternoon, and if you’re working along and the library is full the decision to leave your stuff unguarded for the 10-15 minutes it can take to get a drink or risk not being about to find another space is a difficult one.

42. Clayton Grove says:

I’ll keep this brief.
    1. 24 hour opening during ‘swot-vac’ and exam times.
    2. Unbound journals situated with their bound counterparts.
    3. Cafe is a bad idea, food, drinks and books together would be a disaster.
    4. Power outlets for laptops are needed.

43. Alexander Ravenbrooke says:

The architecture and interior design should be in keeping with the oldest (and best) at this university. Ideally the Gods ought somehow to bring back to life the architects of the Mitchell Building, Elder Hall and the Great (Bonython) Hall. Forget the howls of “Pastiche!”.The word has been degraded to a mere term of abuse (it was probably just such a term to begin with). What do three examples of neo-Gothic types of architecture and design, one done in 1837, another in 1879, and another in 1910, have in common? What would, say, three mansions, or railway stations, or churches, or libraries, have in common if one each of them were done in these three different years? The answer is obvious. To the observor they would all quite clearly be of different periods- works of architecture of their times. Think of Pugin`s church at Cheadle, then of Scott’s cathedral at Liverpool. Let us not have some glass, steel and concrete erection that may be as cruel as Le Corbusier- although that is probably what we will get, since, probably, that is all that the chosen architect or architects can do. Anyway, modern art is dead! I would like make other suggestions; any coffee shop or restaurant should be near the library, but not in it. Drinks inside the library are tolerable. The library interiors should have very strong protection from the sun and the heat- make the walls very thick. Indeed any new buildings should be as big and as impressive as funds allow. Make the ceilings as lofty as possible. If at all possible, for the sake of speed and convenience, every item, every book, periodical and other publication should be on the shelves at the actual library on campus. If this is already the case I apologise. But if it isn’t, then the Barr Smith’s buildings aren’t big enough.
    I may think of other suggestions, but this is my last for now.

44. Sarah B says:

The coffee issue seems to be the most contentious. In my view a cafe has no place in the library, no matter how pleasant it would be. Frankly, many of the books are already damaged enough. A cafe right next door to the library would be great, but not out of library funding. More money is needed for books and journals and apparently for study space, not for optional extras or distractions. People who simply cannot make it through the afternoon without caffeine (yeah, right) can buy pills. And people who aren’t really there to study shouldn’t be hanging around clogging the place up.
    I agree with those who say that the original entrance should be restored to at least limited use. I would like to be able to enter the library (or at least drop off returned books) from ground level, without having to haul my son’s pram (and my books) up a bunch of stairs or hunt around for the long and winding ramp.
    It’s actually very convenient having the Unbound Journals located in one spot – makes it easy to catch up on all needed journals and browse for inspiration. I wouldn’t like to see these devolved to the stacks. Another location would be fine though. (As long as it’s as light and pleasant as the current one!)
    Natural light and warmth are great for study, but less good for books – perhaps keep the stacks in the dark areas and put the study desks near the windows.
    It sounds to me like whatever money there is should go into producing a streamlined and more user-friendly arrangement of IT facilities and study areas. Put the money toward the benefit of people who actually go to the library to get some work done.
    Lasty and most importantly: don’t go messing with the Reading Room, please!

45. Katrina says:

24 Hour Reading/Study Rooms.

46. Elizabeth says:

It would be good to put that old-fashioned “shhhh…” back into libraries. If people want to chat, engage in study discussions etc, they should do it outside the library.

In “my day” I thought the study rooms were for individual engrossed study. Now they’re often populated with hordes of people chattering away… Perhaps there should be dedicated resources for groups discussions elsewhere?

47. Rachel says:

I would like to see
    1 A better printing/photocopying hub one where the noise of the machines doesn’t effect others so much and with easy access to students
    2 Please maintain the condition the silent study area on level II (the old part of the library with lots of desks and dead silence). Maybe even increase the segregation of group study and solo study (ie all group study on one floor and all solo study on another floor)
    3 A second return slot near the old entrance.
    4 Better toilet facilities!!!!!! Especially the female toilites on level 1!!!

48. annalise says:

doors. that is all

49. Lorenzo says:

having a greater variety of reminder notes for things like loud talking, playing computer games/youtubing etc.

50. Arvinth says:

hi,
    some suggestions..

1.having more plug points for laptop(hardly find one when i need)
    2.sound proof study rooms its disturbing when people discuss in the side room
    3.return shoot on the other side
    4.lockers would be helpful, if you go out for a lunch in between researching time

i think thats all i got now..will write it if i remember anything..