New borrowing rules will take effect from 2 March 2009. The new rules
- increase the number of items you can have on loan
- increase loan periods
- revise the demerit schedule
- make short loans subject to demand
High demand items
The new borrowing rules remove fixed short loans (one week). All loan periods
will be subject to recall, with demand determining the loan period. If the item
you have on loan becomes a high demand item and is recalled, your loan period
will be reduced to one week and you will be notified of the new due date by
If you fail to return a recalled item on time you will be blocked from borrowing.
To keep high demand items circulating as quickly as possible requests must be
collected within four days of receiving the notification that the item is available.
Each overdue item will accrue demerit points as follows:
- Reserve collection items: 5 points per hour overdue
- Recalled items: 10 points per day overdue
- All other items: 2 points per day overdue
Suspensions will be seven days for every 60 demerit points.
The new rules will be trialled over 2009 and feedback can be forwarded to
Margaret Colmer, Lending Services and Document Delivery Librarian.