BLOGS WEBSITE

Study Rooms

Because of the Learning Hub redevelopment, the Barr Smith Library has a significant shortage of study places. In order to make more places available, we are demolishing the small-group study rooms on Levels 1 and 2, and converting the space to single study carrels. We will also make a small area available on Level 2 South available for quiet group study.

Students should also consider the Reading Room as a place for silent study, where there are usually many vacant seats available.

Once again we apologise for the disruption and inconvenience caused.

This entry was posted in Services. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses

1. Rebecca says:

I will deeply miss the study rooms during SWOT 🙁 Nothing nicer than a table where you can fit open textbooks, lecture notes and your workbook at once!

2. Nelle says:

I seriously miss the study rooms. There are not always free seats in the reading room, and there are rarely any seats in the entire library with power points near for laptop usage. I prefer silence and no disturbances for study, and this is not attainable in the library any more. This is very, very sad.

3. Murray says:

I have missed having the study room available to work on group projects or exam study with a buddy. The reading room is good but are all the power points working yet, we pay our fees, we should be provided with adequate facilities

4. James says:

It is very sad that the library has shrunk, getting a spot to study (especially with access to a powerpoint) has become very competetive. Why not open the old medical library? That was a great place to study.

Less space, less computers, more people facebooking and talking on their phones, it’ll be great when it’s finally finished. Of course, I’ll be graduated by then. Sigh.

5. laura says:

I will miss the study rooms. they were a fantastic way to guarantee a power point for your laptop, and were generally quieter because they were away from the big groups of desks. I think this along with the big public areas on the top floor have really been a step backwards for the library

6. Nur says:

I’m in my first semester at Adelaide Uni. The library has excellent facilities, but I’m not very impressed with the study areas, or rather lack of them. There are people everywhere. My mates and I can’t be doing group discussions in the reading room and the other study areas are always simply too full, and therefore noisy. Too bad that by the end of upgrading process, I would’ve graduated.

7. Kimberly says:

As a postgrad student with no office I’m really disappointed by the lack of private study rooms. I go to the library for many hours and can’t gather all the books I need in one trip. So I either have to leave my laptop unattended while I make my multiple trips to the stacks or I have to pack everything up every time I need to follow up a new book, risking losing my seat and not being able to continue my studies. It is noisier too, just not a good place to be able to work quietly. The power points are always in the noisy communal areas and the reading room light levels really strain my eyes after short periods of time. Not to mention how uncomfortable the chairs are!

Crack down on noise and the morons who spend hours facebooking while people are left unable to access computers for work and study. Most importantly, bring back the lockable private study rooms!

8. Cassie says:

What is your problem? Why would you do this? Who’s bright idea was it to take away study areas? You know the places we study, to pass, to make your g.d uni look good?

It not that you have taken some away, its that the ones remaining HAVE NO LOCKS. i guess you prefer people thumping around the Barr swinging their backpacks and blocking the isles.

I need somewhere secure (ish) to put my laptop and other heavy things while scouring the library.

For all the forward thought that has gone into the future “Hub” you guys are clearly lacking in any present thinking. Oh great in 2 years we will have a state of the art hub; most of us won’t be here.
    I understand that change is good but why should my study suffer because of it?

Find a solution.

9. Gerard says:

There seems to be a complete lack of respect for other users in the Barr Smith. Mobile phones going off in the reading room and in the so called ‘quiet’ study areas – and people actually answering them! That lack of respect extends to the university not making simple and relatively cheap upgrades like power points – how hard could that be? Student computers ought to be blocked from using social networking sites. Big Brother I know you call, but people are queuing to use computers…

10. A-Star says:

I too am tired to death of the lack of adequate areas to study, the noise and lack of respect for students who actually need to finish work on computers only to find that there are inconsiderate people using facebook and other sites not conducive to study or even sitting at computers talking for hours without actually working. What makes me mad is that the library do very little to enforce etiquette – especially as there has been so many shortages enacted in order to accomodate for the construction of the new hub. What I would like to see the library do is enforce some social/academic etiquette rules. For example, start putting signs up around the library saying that if you are using a library computer, and you are engaging in non-study related activity, then a student who needs the computer to do work then takes priority and can ask you to log off and leave. This was a policy at my old uni, and worked brilliantly. No body argued. All it takes is a bit of implementation. If the library people have enough time running around placing little notes that say “If we had enough time to place this here, then a theif had enough time to steal your belongings”. What a pointless waste of time. Because if there were better facilities, personal security wouldn’t be an issue!
    With all due respect PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!!!

11. Arlen says:

It can’t always be assumed that using facebook isn’t study related. With it’s pervasive nature it’s often the quickest way to get in touch with colleagues.

12. janeTA says:

well, don’t expect the learning hub to help with more space/s, its all geared for retail food services and the like because people are too slack to walk to the union – what a total waste of prime study space that is! don’t believe me then have a browse of the so call hub shoices! what dim planners we have here 🙁

13. janeTA says:

and as for facebook and the like? yeah ban them all from barrsmith and union and faculty facilities; perhaps make available cheap netbooks and the like so people who wish too can play facebook as much as they like elsewhere and allow the rest of us to use what limited facilities there are for serious study! and stop people dozing and saving facilities for friends by logging on and putting books and stuff making facilities look as if they are in use too! if the autologoff logs you off then that workstation is available to anyone looking!!

14. Steve says:

It’s more a little frustrating that I cannot share with you the plans for the Learning Hub that I have seen. I’m hoping the project people will release them soon. But I can tell you there will lots of study spaces, both for individuals and groups, in the Learning Hub, as well as around 200 PCs. It is certainly not true to say the whole thing is geared to retail food services. There will only be those marked on the “What?” wall, in one corner of Level 4.

The Library very much regrets the loss of study spaces due to the redevelopment, and we are keenly aware of the shortage of seats as a result, but we have made some effort to create new spaces on Level 1 and Level 2. If we can do more, we will, but space is limited.

15. Steve says:

Regarding Facebook, the Library tries to remain neutral in questions of value: one woman’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer is another’s doctoral thesis!

But also, rather than seeing Facebook as a platform for time-wasting trivia, we prefer to see it as an important medium of communication. Some courses are actually making use of Facebook, and there are also more than 500 Groups representing aspects of University life — from clubs and societies to subject-related groups. There may already be groups related to your subjects, but if not, why not start one, and open a conversation with your fellow students about your subject of study?

There much more to Facebook than Farmville!