Next up in our podcast series showcasing researchers from the Freemasons Foundation Centre for Men’s Health at the University of Adelaide, we hear from Dr Sarah Appleton Post-doc Research Fellow (the University of Adelaide) talking to Cameron about sleep hygiene. Sarah is based at both the Basil Hetzel Institute at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute.
We all know that good sleep hygiene is crucial for good physical and mental health and well-being, equal to that of good nutrition and keeping fit. In this podcast Sarah provides a run down of the findings from their recently completed National Sleep Survey which provided a snap shot of the extent of sleep problems in the community.
What you will hear In this podcast “The Sleeping Giant”
- 2:30 – The Australian Sleep Survey – what was it about
- 4:10 – What can people do to improve their sleep habits and sleep hygiene
- 5:55 – Sleep restriction impacts on your metabolism
- 7:00 – Disseminating knowledge on the importance of good sleep and sickness absenteeism
- 9:30 – Short sleep
- 10:30 – Relationship between sleep apnoea and many health conditions
- 11.25 – Most sleep apnoea is undiagnosed – what to look out for and what not to look out for
- 13:30 – Treatment options for sleep apnoea
- 15:30 – Goal of Sarah’s research – health promotion and health policy and practice
- 17.00 – Returning to the concept of sleep hygiene
Listen to Sarah here on Soundcloud