Things you are (almost certainly) doing to develop digital capabilities in your course

By Hari Nikas and Lee Carter (Learning Enhancement & Innovation)

What? I’ve got to embed something else into my course? How am I going to change my whole course?

These may well be the first thoughts that pop into your head when you encounter the Digital Capabilities Framework (DCF). But maybe a better question would be; am I already embedding the Digital Capabilities Framework into my course? The answer will invariably be YES!

Framework showing 6 key areas

When you consider the 6 key areas that make up the DCF you may start to come to the conclusion that your courses are already covering a large majority of the key areas. Furthermore, with simple ‘tweaks’ to your current course you may well find that you can embed greater opportunities to meet the expectations of the framework. Things you might like to consider are:

• Am I providing opportunities for my students to collaborate digitally?
• Have I included resources that are accessible in a range of technological formats?
• Am I offering assessment tasks that enable students to deliver content digitally?
• Am I providing links to digital wellbeing awareness resources in my course?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, you are already well on your way in the journey of embedding the Digital Capabilities Framework into your course! Moreover, it’s important to ensure that the DCF aligns smoothly with your course, opportunities to embed should occur organically and shouldn’t feel forced into tasks.

The above was a brief overview of the Festival of Learning and Teaching presentation on the Digital Capabilities Framework that took place on Friday 20th July 2018, presented by Dr. Rebecca Tooher, Hari Nikas and Lee Carter.

Review and contribute to the list of 10 easy things that educators can do to enhance student’s digital literacies without having to overhaul their whole course or lesson plan.

The Digital Capabilities Framework is a proven instrument, backed up by robust research. It provides a roadmap and six elements that you see in the example above that are incorporated into the student and staff profiles. The student profile outlines skills that can be incorporated into curriculum and learning activity design and the staff profile concentrates on digital capability skills for educators and those who support learning and teaching.

These may be used to:
• make better informed decisions about the digital environment & curriculum
• practice digital skills in our day to day life
• incorporate digital learning in courses and in the students’ personal study habits
• act as a point of reference for guiding students
• help to guide progression through levels of study
• develop learning outcomes, assessments and activities aligned to the Grad Attributes
• guide your own professional development
• have your own continuing professional development (CPD) activities recognised
• use in PDR conversations
• consider when doing a Peer Review of Teaching
• map digital expertise across different staff roles by leadership teams
• design CPD to incorporate or develop digital literacies

Learning Enhancement and Innovation leads coordinated services, projects and initiatives for the University’s face-to-face, blended and fully online learning opportunities. If you would like further help in embedding the Digital Capabilities Framework into your program contact your faculty Learning Designer.

This entry was posted in Teaching and Learning and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.