The Georgina Sweet Awards for Women in Quantitative Biomedical Science were created by Professor Leann Tilley as part of her Australian Research Council Laureate Fellowship program, to promote and support female scientists who demonstrate excellence in the area of Quantitative Biomedical Science.
The purpose of the travel awards is to help attract high profile international female biomedical scientists to participate as a guest speaker at biomedical science conferences hosted in Australia that have adopted and are enacting gender equity policies. Applications may be submitted by staff employed in any academic or research institution within Australia.
Three grants of up to $3,000 each will be awarded annually from 2016 – 2020.
Visits should be inbound to Australia for scientists to participate as a guest speaker at a biomedical science conference hosted in Australia to be held within one year of the application date. The standard award will be $3,000, which will be transferred to the successful applicant’s host institution.
Eligible visitor expenses include:
- return international economy flights
- visa costs
- conference registration costs
- incidental costs related to attendance at the conference
Award funds cannot be used for:
- Salaries or other direct costs associated with the visit (such as research related expenses)
- Activities that are not directly related to the participation at the conference
Applicants should be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, employed as continuing or contracted academic staff at an academic and / or research institution.
Honorary and adjunct academic staff are not eligible to apply.
Only one speaker per conference will be eligible for consideration for the award.
Refer to the Award Guidelines (PDF) for further details.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications are open at any time until the awards have been allocated for the year.
- Submit an Application to Research Services for Review