The Concept Award supports the exploration of a highly innovative new concept or untested theory that addresses an important problem relevant to lung cancer. The Award is not intended to support an incremental progression of an already established research project but, instead, allows Principal Investigators (PIs) the opportunity to pursue serendipitous observations.
To be considered for funding, applications for the FY16 LCRP Concept Award must address at least one of the seven Areas of Emphasis listed below:
- Identify or develop noninvasive or minimally invasive tools to improve the detection of the initial stages of lung cancer;
- Identify, develop, and/or build upon already existing tools for screening or early detection of lung cancer. Screening may include, but is not limited to, imaging modalities, biomarkers, genetics/ genomics/ proteomics/ metabolomics/ transcriptomics, and assessment of risk factors;
- Understand the molecular mechanisms of initiation and progression to clinically significant lung cancer;
- Identify innovative strategies for prevention and treatment of early and/or localised lung cancer;
- Understand predictive and prognostic markers to identify responders and nonresponders;
- Understand susceptibility or resistance to treatment;
- Understand contributors to lung cancer development other than tobacco.
Funding & Duration
The anticipated direct costs budgeted for the entire period of performance will not exceed US $100,000 (approx AUD $138,000)
The maximum period of performance is 1 year.
- All investigators at or above the level of postdoctoral fellow (or equivalent) are eligible.
- Eligible investigators must apply through an organisation.
- Organisations eligible to apply include Federal agencies, national, international, for-profit, nonprofit, public, and private organisations.
Submission Requirements & Due Dates
- 28 July 2016 – Letter of Intent (LOI) submitted via https://eBRAP.org.
- Copy of LOI forwarded to the Research Branch ASAP.
- 4 August 2016 – full applications (by invitation only) submitted to the Research Branch for internal review.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org