All R2HC funded research is concerned with health outcomes in the acute phase of a humanitarian crisis. Two types of funding are available in this (Fourth) call:
- Core grant funding is available for research into existing on-going public health interventions in humanitarian crises.
- Rapid response grant funding is a mechanism by which funding is ‘pre-approved’ and triggered later when the foreseen rapid-onset crisis occurs.
Funding & Duration
Up to £3M (approx AUD $5.8M) of research funding is available in the Fourth Call. The R2HC is able to fund a wide range of grant sizes, including grants for large comparative studies that have the potential to generate significant impact. The number of grants and the total amount of funding approved will depend on the quality of proposals received.
Grants will be for a maximum duration of 24 months.
For those applicants selected to go forward to the Full Application stage, seed funding of up to £10,000 (approx AUD $19,500) per application will be available specifically to support the development of strong research partnerships – including through provision of onsite support for partnership development by R2HC staff – and to undertake preliminary data collection if necessary as part of the proposal development process.
Applicants will be invited at the Expression of Interest stage of the application to indicate whether they would wish to apply for seed funding and, if so, to submit an outline seed funding budget and outline proposal.
Research consortia consisting of at least one humanitarian organisation and one academic institution are a prerequisite for applications to the R2HC programme.
The Sponsor advocates for a partnership approach so as to ensure the benefits of both operational humanitarian experience and academic rigour in humanitarian public health research. Partnerships that are led by or include academic institutions from the global south are particularly encouraged.
Submission Requirements & Due Dates
- 15 July 2016 – Expressions of Interest (EOI) to be submitted directly to the Sponsor.
- Copy of EOI forwarded to the Research Branch ASAP.
- (TBA) December 2016 – full applications (by application only) submitted to the Research Branch for internal review.
- Email: email@example.com