Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
The Fellowship provides a stipend for research and stay, Insurance, Air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and Lump sum on arrival.
Host Institution In Japan
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry).
Funding & Duration
Fellowships may be taken between April 2017 and March 2018, for between 3-6 months, in order to complete a Research Project.
Value of the award:
- ¥220,000 yen (approx AUD $2,800) is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
- Overseas Travel Accident and Sickness Insurance are provided.
- An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided.
- ¥100,000 yen (approx AUD $1300) is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to apply, including:
- hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications
- be under 49 years old at the time of application
- have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present. it is also expected that applicants have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF.
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 24 August 2016
- The University’s Grant Application Cover Sheet must accompany your application
- Email: email@example.com (also Arts & Professions)