The Australian Academy of Science invites Australian early- and mid-career researchers to apply for the Australia–India Strategic Research Fund (AISRF) Early- and Mid-Career Researcher (EMCR) Fellowships 2017–18. The EMCR Fellowships provide support (up to $40,500) for Australian researchers to travel to India and work with leading researchers at major Indian science and technology organisations for a period of between 3 and 9 months. They are intended to facilitate long-term science, technology and innovation collaboration between Australia and India by:
- developing researchers’ expertise in international collaboration and fostering long-term relationships between Australian and Indian researchers
- increasing Australian researchers’ understanding of Indian culture, particularly the science and research practices and systems
- developing the researchers’ leadership skills as future ‘science ambassadors’ for Australia
- providing a catalyst for future Australia–India research collaboration.
Applicants should propose a collaborative research project or a specific activity that has been developed in consultation with the host organisation(s) in India. Proposals will be assessed on the scientific merit of the research and on how well the applicant meets the above aims.
Funding & Duration
Travel must commence between 1 January 2017 and 30 June 2017, must be for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 9 months in duration. All travel must be completed by 31 March 2018.
Successful applicants may receive from the Academy a grant-in-aid of up to the value of $40,500 towards the cost of:
- an international economy class airfare from Australia to the international airport closest to the host institute (up to a maximum of $2,500)
- a once-off allowance for travel and medical insurances and visa costs (up to a maximum of $1,000)
- a once-off allowance for travel within India for research related activities, including attending conferences (up to a maximum of $1,000)
- a monthly living allowance of $4,000 per month (up to a total maximum of $36,000 for 9 months).
The applicant must:
- have between 3 and 10 years of research experience since the award of the PhD degree or equivalent, with the degree having been conferred no more than 15 years prior to submitting the grant application. An extension to this limit may be approved in the case of significant career interruptions
- be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, living in Australia and be employed as a scientist/faculty member of an eligible research organisation (ERO) (below), at the time of submitting the grant application (if you were not born in Australia, please provide proof of Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency)
- have shown the potential to become a leader in the research community (demonstrated outstanding skills and potential for senior positions in science and technology)
- not have previously received funding for an AISRF Fellowship from the Academy
- not have already consolidated links with India
- not have previously studied (at tertiary level) or worked in India for longer than a total of three months.
Submission Requirements & Internal Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 24 October 2016
- The University’s Grant Application Cover Sheet must accompany your application
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (also Arts & Professions)