The Leibniz – DAAD Research Fellowship programme is jointly carried out by the Leibniz Association and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Leibniz-DAAD fellowships offer highly-qualified, international postdoctoral researchers, who have recently completed their doctoral studies, the opportunity to conduct research at a Leibniz Institute of their choice in Germany.
Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellows can do their research at one of the Leibniz Institutes which are covered in the following (five) sections:
- Section A: Humanities and Educational Research
- Section B: Economics, Social and Spatial Sciences
- Section C: Life Sciences
- Section D: Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Engineering
- Section E: Environmental Sciences
Funding & Duration
Fellowships can be awarded for 12 months and include:
- a monthly instalment of €2,000 (approx AUD $2,800);
- a combined health, accident and personal liability insurance as well as long-term care insurance in Germany;
- a research allowance of €460 (approx AUD $650) per annum; and,
- a two-months German language course in Germany (if desired).
Family-related allowances or support for travel costs are not provided.
The fellowship period must commence between September 1, 2017 and January 1, 2018.
- be able to prove their outstanding academic or research achievements
- have completed their studies with a PhD or equivalent qualification; no more than two years should have passed since the thesis defence/viva voce, so that only PhD graduates who completed their thesis between January 1, 2015 and March 9, 2017 will be eligible to apply for a Leibniz-DAAD research fellowship for 2017/18; there will be a grace period till May 31, 2017 for those who have completed their thesis but not yet their defence/viva voce
- pursue a project for which the respective Leibniz Institute can offer an adequate infrastructure and scientific environment
- have excellent knowledge of English (knowledge of German is welcome).
At the time of application (date of submission of the application) applicants for a Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowship must neither hold German nationality nor have resided in Germany for more than six months.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 2 March 2017
- Submit an Application to the Research Branch for Review