Mozilla Science Lab is looking for researchers with a passion for open source and data sharing, already working to shift research practice to be more collaborative, iterative and open. Fellows will spend 10 months starting September 2017 as community catalysts at their institutions, mentoring the next generation of open data practitioners and researchers and building lasting change in the global open science community.
Throughout their fellowship term, chosen fellows will receive training and support from Mozilla to hone their skills around open source, data sharing, open science policy and licensing. They will also craft code, curriculum and other learning resources that help their local communities learn open data practices, and teach their institutional peers.
Funding & Duration
Fellows will receive:
- A stipend of USD $60,000 (approx. AUD $80,000), paid in 10 monthly instalments.
- One-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $3,500 (approx. AUD $4,650) for single Fellows to $7,000 (approx. AUD $9,300) for a couple with two or more children.
- One-time childcare allotment of up to $6,000 (approx. AUD $8,000) for families with children.
- Allowance of up to $3,000 (approx. AUD $4,000) towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship.
- All approved fellowship trips – domestic and international – are covered in full.
- Be currently employed at a research institution.
- Have the ability to accept outside funds for this fellowship directly (i.e. not distributed through the institution).
- Be an early-career researcher (i.e. graduate students, post-docs, research scientists, lecturers).
- Specialise in scientific research: physical, life, social, or natural sciences.
- Be able to travel.
- Obtain support from their supervisors. As fellows will be based at their home institutions, please note that a letter of support from their supervisor is mandatory for consideration.
- Have experience participating in open communities.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 8 May 2017
- Submit an Application to Research Services for Review