Funding for this scheme will be available to support projects which align with the key objective of the NSW SMS ‘to increase protection for bathers from shark interactions while minimising harm to sharks or other animals’.
Grants to support advances in technology will cover projects in the research and development and field demonstration phases.
Key Areas of Funding
Key areas for funding which align with the NSW SMS objective are:
- Personal shark deterrents (e.g. protective wetsuits, small electrical and magnetic devices) (This is the PRIORITY FUNDING AREA for 2017-18)
- Area-based shark deterrents (e.g. electrical or other types of barriers)
- Shark detection methods (e.g. sonar technologies, shark recognition software)
- Shark biology relevant to interactions with humans (e.g. sensory systems)
- Socio-economics of shark-human interactions (e.g. changes in human behaviour and perceptions following implementation of particular approaches)
Funding & Duration
A total of $200,000 is available under the Shark Management Strategy Grants Program for single year projects. Funding for individual projects would generally not exceed $50,000. Proposed projects should be developed as 1-year in duration, but extensions may be considered for promising research and development.
Anyone can apply for a SMS grant including technology developers, researchers, organisations, educational institutions, businesses and individuals. Grants are open to national and international applicants, and joint applications are encouraged.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 21 June 2017
- Please complete your RFR through ResearchMaster and when prompted to Select Fund Scheme use Fund Scheme code 9999 (Other)
- See also Submitting an Application to Research Services for Review
- General enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org