The Mobility Unlimited Challenge aims to harness creative thinking from across the world to accelerate innovation and encourage collaboration with end-users, resulting in devices that will integrate seamlessly into users’ lives and environments, enabling greater independence and increased participation in daily life.
We’re looking for teams with engineering, software, design and data science expertise. But more importantly, we’re looking for teams who put end-users at the heart of everything they do. That means engaging people with lower-limb paralysis from the outset to develop devices that best meet their needs.
Devices might incorporate Artificial Intelligence that will help predict user intent. Or long-life, fast charging batteries that will give people the freedom to move for days or weeks at a time without worrying about power. Or a re-engineered exoskeleton that will redefine assistive mobility. Or something the world hasn’t even realized is possible.
- 7 February 2018: Deadline to apply for a Discovery Award
- 11 April 2018: Ten Discovery Award winners receive US $50,000 (approx. AUD $65,400) each. Funds used to develop applications to become a finalist.
- 15 August 2018: Deadline to apply to become a finalist in the Challenge. Unnecessary to be a Discovery Awardee to become a finalist.
- 14 January 2019: Five finalist teams announced – each receives a US $500,000 (approx. AUD $654,000) Development Grant.
- September 2020: One winning team receives a US $1M (approx. AUD $1.3M) prize.
Submission Requirements & Due Date
- Applications must be submitted for internal review by 31 January 2018
- Please email email@example.com if you are considering applying for this scheme.
- Submit an Application to Research Services for Review